CONTACT US: trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com
Switch to mobile site HERE

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saucy's Carnival 2010 Costume Picks

I was holding back on giving my choices for top 5 costumes in the popular bands because I had not seen that many in person. After pouring through hundreds of photos from my friends (some of which I have "borrowed" for this post) I have made my choices. It is interesting to note that the SAME costumes keep being photographed over and over when looking at people's personal photos as well as the photo websites online.

Please remember that this is based on MY picks, I would hope everyone loved THEIR costume as much as I loved mine, even if your costume was not one of the top picks for me this year. I have to mention that overall I really loved Island People on the road; Chutney Baav looked great as well as Morgandani Individual (they get an honourable mention).


 I was disappointed in the decoration on Spice's corsets, they were really lacking compared to last year and there were some sections that floored me in the final version.. .China anyone? As for TRIBE, my sentiments did not really change on how I felt about the costumes post launch. The band looked great but my top picks still remained the same.The only costume that slipped was Osage, pretty costume but that was ALOT of orange with not that much contrast. The ladies looked gorgeous in it though, especially the "backline individuals" who took the initiative to add some embellishments! You go girls!


And now my top 5 costume picks in the top 3 most popular bands:

TRIBE

Zari Frontline
I was not impressed with this frontline at TRIBE's launch because it looked very unfinished with just a skimpy bra, belt and somewhat large headpiece. Add an asymmetrical back pack, interesting detail, and a fuller headpiece to the basic frontline costume and this one wowed on the road. Every masquerader in this costume, save one, had to be a size 4 or under and they looked awesome!

Xi Ling Shi Frontline 
I loved the backpack on this costume, lots of movement and very pretty with the two tone feathers. Gorgeous representation on the road as well, the ladies all looked so regal and delicate!

Mystery of Loulan
Loved it, almost the entire section came out with their large headpieces and most kept them on all day because they were not as heavy as people thought they would be. I think both options of the frontline looked fantastic and the backline also looked pretty cute.

Threads of Morocco
Stunning pink in the frontline really sold this section for me. I loved the arm details as well as the wire bra. The backline girls also looked great under the sun.Wished more of the frontline wore their cape! It looked great in photos.

Charmeuse
Awesome large headpiece and backpack on the frontline was a "wow" when I saw it in person. Great colour combination. The entire section looked great.


Island People

Priyadarshani
I LOVED this costume on the road, gems were glittering in the sunlight from a distance. Absolutely gorgeous!

Chandsitare
Surprise hit for me on the road, everyone I saw in this section looked amazing.Also have to mention that every single Island People male rocked their costume. 

Bindi
Even though I am not a fan of burgundy costumes this one looked really nice, not to mention it was one of the larger sections in Island People so it also stood out on impact as well.

Taal
I thought this costume looked fabulous! Loved it at the launch and on the road.

Mudra
This section gets top marks for all the lithe, hard bodies in this costume. It was skimpy but the women hit this one out the park! Very sexy section.


Spice
Greece
One of the most well constructed sections in Spice, I did not see one costume looking as it was missing anything. Great impact on the road with Individual, Frontline and Backline.

Moroccan Heat
Surprise road hit, I was not floored by this section at the band launch but on the road it popped. Everything worked, the shade of orange on the masqueraders, the gold was just enough contrast and I loved the headpiece despite the fact that it kept leaning forward.

Wings of Isis 
This costume went both ways for me. On larger bras the decoration looked a bit sloppy on the stretchy spandex base and the headpiece construction differed from the prototype. However on the smaller bras the costume looked like what it was supposed to be; one of Spice hits.


Rubies of Mumbai 
The best section in Spice for me, on the road.

Thailand
Lovely costume! I loved the backline lots.

9 comments:

dcarnivalbaby said...

BINDI was my favorite in Island People too. But when I picked it up, it was not what I expected. I rocked it anyway and glad I did. I along with my friends made your post this morning LMAO

trinicandy said...

taal and mudra were my picks in IP.....the bindi individual blew me away

Xi Ling Shi and threads of morocco are my tribe picks.......the costume that really lost it for me other than osage was tyrian purple

thailand and Moroccan Heat were the hits from spice

RWB said...

I thought Threads of Morocco FL was the clear winner in Tribe.

The Osage thing is weird because I actually thought it looked better on the road than what I expected. (It was always a lot of Orange). Besides that, I actually think the Osage orange and gold was a better contrast than Moroccan Heat.

I think the best looking section in Tribe was Silk of Rajastan. Ultimately, a FL costume SHOULD be hot. But if the whole section male, female everything looks great, that to me is way better!

Bizzie Chic said...

Zari FL rocked, nice costume even the colors.

Xi Ling Shi--people dubbed it the Big Bird Section but it was another beautiful section...vibrant color combination.

Mystery of Loulan--one word FANTABULOUS!!

Other notables for me-Taal Greece, Thailand. Habotai looked good IMO.

Emprezz Diva said...

I was really impressed with Habotai on the road!!! No surprising that Charmuese and Loulan looked so lovely (FL, BL, everything!!). I really caught costume envy with Threads of Moroccan BL. That was the rude gyal section. I thought it was a lil plain before but all the ladies I saw in that rocked the VERY skimpy costume VERY WELL!!

As for Spice, on the road I honestly wasnt floored by Greece. That blue bra kept getting to me every time I saw it! LOL. And still dont understand why Merchants of Venice had a silver panty & green bra. Sometimes I am just old fashioned with and it is a matching bra and panty LOL. As far as Isis, the bra honestly was not the neatest but I keep Spice props for not skimping on the decorations of the larger bras!!

As for IP I agree with you wholeheartedly about Taal and Mundra...they both looked BEAUTIFUL on the road!!

Carnivalcocoa said...

These are who I saw on the road-

For Island Ppl - all of Kalpana, Bindi, Chandsitare (simply hawt, always liked this section), Taal FL, Mundra FL and Priyadarshani FL (those F.H.Os werrked it). Honorable mention to Jaipur ;)

For Tribe: Loulan FL, Zari FL

For Spice: Thailand, Rubies (these were always my fave from jump)

s-kayeS said...

a post should be done on ugliest (or whatever politically correct term preferred) costumes on the road

dcarnivalbaby said...

Oh Lord, Im scared to watch what will be up tomorrow now LMAO

Lisa said...

Loulan, Charmeuse, Fl Zari, Fl Morocco, were my top pics in Tribe.
The nicest thing about Osage and
Xi Ling Shi (to me) was the vibrant colors. Rajasthan male was
great, but not the female. I really thought some of the other
designs went out with poison, like
Lapis Lazuli. Strange, but I found
Serica, minus the white and some adjustments to the headpiece could have been a great costume.

Copyright Notice:
All photos and original articles by the author of this site are copyright of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com therefore all rights are reserved. Original content found within this Web site are protected by international copyright laws. No content of any type from this site may be sold, republished, modified, uploaded, reformatted or copied without the express consent of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com Should you require to use any of the material originally published on www. trinidadcarnivaldiary.com for personal or public use please e-mail trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com

Disclaimer

It is important to impress that the views reflected by this blog are mine alone and not necessarily views held by Triniscene. You cannot contact Triniscene and ask for their assistance in swaying or monitoring anything that is written on this blog.

All Content is for informational purposes only. I make reasonable efforts to ensure the completeness and accuracy of all content of the blog. However, I do not guarantee the completeness or accuracy of any information on this blog. There are various risks you assume in relying on the Content. We make reasonable efforts to provide accurate Content on the blog, but at times I may not promptly update or correct the blog even if I am aware that it is inaccurate, outdated or otherwise inappropriate.

While at times, I highlight certain services, websites, merchandise and such, I do not endorse any product. Nor do I use this blog to sell any merchandise. Also, I DO NOT endorse or encourage any products, costumes or services advertised on the conversation box (e.g. cbox). Neither do I endorse the opinions of, or warrant the accuracy of facts or other Content contributed by, any third party. I am not liable for any action you take or decision you make in reliance on any Content.

As a result, I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE QUALITY, SAFETY OR LEGALITY OF THE ITEMS ADVERTISED, THE TRUTH OR ACCURACY OF THE LISTINGS, THE ABILITY OF SELLERS TO SELL ITEMS OR THE ABILITY OF BUYERS TO BUY ITEMS. I cannot ensure that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction. You should look to the seller for any refunds, credits or adjustments to a transaction. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY, AND OFFER NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, REGARDING YOUR TRANSACTION WITH ANY INDIVIDUAL SELLER(S) OR ANY PARTS YOU PURCHASE FROM A SELLER, OR ANY INFORMATION, INCLUDING CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, YOU GIVE TO A SELLER.

Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com does not assume copyright for images used that are not owned by Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com, such images are used only to illustrate a point or when they are relevant to an article written by the author of Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com .If you are the owner of the image and would like it removed please contact trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com