CONTACT US: trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com
Switch to mobile site HERE

Thursday, April 08, 2010

2010 Trinidad Carnival - Carnival Monday

Good morning neighbours, Kermit D. Frog here welcoming you to the Greatest Show on Earth: Trinidad Carnival.

Today is Carnival Monday and this is a day traditionally given over to mostly non-costumed masquerading in the streets of Port-of-Spain. Around mid to late morning, the J’Ouvert celebrations which began the night before start winding down and the main costumed bands start making their presence felt along the parade route. These bands assemble at different parts of the city and most have a start time of around 11:00 a.m. and, for the most part, they generally stick to that schedule. By 11:00 a.m. I was approaching Queens Royal College and was planning on simply heading downtown where my band, Tribe, was located when I ran into another band which had just crossed the savannah judging point. Harts, another and with a long and rich carnival history, was passing in front of me so I did what came naturally and started snapping away with the camera.

Like I mentioned before, Carnival Monday is a mostly non-costumed day, which is to say that masqueraders generally do not wear their entire costume today. This is to ensure that they look their best for the big spectacle that is Carnival Tuesday because while the costumes hold up pretty well for a day or so of intense winery on the streets, to try for two days of such activity would be asking way too much from the bikinis and beads and judging by the way these ladies were carrying on, it seemed unlikely that their costumery would last even one day.
After enjoying the scenes for a while, I resumed my search for Tribe and located them without too much trouble as they were all lined up and on the final approach to the savannah “stage”. After playing mas with the main stage and now without it, my views about that particular carnival institution have been strengthened and reinforced but I will not expound on them here. That will be for the Carnival Tuesday commentary because today is not a day to profile and stay in your section and wine in unison when directed. Today is a day to enjoy the world’s biggest and best street party and that is exactly what I did.

As usual, Tribe was completely on point with its drinks and music as I was never far from both. The ladies of Tribe were of course of the highest caliber both in looks and in wining skill and it was a very merry band that eventually made its way past the savannah and towards Tribe’s rest area for lunch. After eating our fill and resting for some time, the band resumed its march through the streets and I found myself marveling at the seemingly endless reserves of energy being displayed by these Tribers. They were partying hard from the time I met the band to when I left and I wondered how they could possibly hope match that pace on Carnival Tuesday which by now was only a scant few hours away.

Anyway, I am no longer a spring chicken, so after a short jump, I decided to head home for a cold shower, some hot food, and a good night’s rest because Tribe leaves bright and early the next morning and I was not going to miss a minute of it.

Enjoy this little taste peeps, (photos HERE) Carnival Tuesday is next……….

No comments:

Copyright Notice:
All photos and original articles by the author of this site are copyright of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com therefore all rights are reserved. Original content found within this Web site are protected by international copyright laws. No content of any type from this site may be sold, republished, modified, uploaded, reformatted or copied without the express consent of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com Should you require to use any of the material originally published on www. trinidadcarnivaldiary.com for personal or public use please e-mail trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com

Disclaimer

It is important to impress that the views reflected by this blog are mine alone and not necessarily views held by Triniscene. You cannot contact Triniscene and ask for their assistance in swaying or monitoring anything that is written on this blog.

All Content is for informational purposes only. I make reasonable efforts to ensure the completeness and accuracy of all content of the blog. However, I do not guarantee the completeness or accuracy of any information on this blog. There are various risks you assume in relying on the Content. We make reasonable efforts to provide accurate Content on the blog, but at times I may not promptly update or correct the blog even if I am aware that it is inaccurate, outdated or otherwise inappropriate.

While at times, I highlight certain services, websites, merchandise and such, I do not endorse any product. Nor do I use this blog to sell any merchandise. Also, I DO NOT endorse or encourage any products, costumes or services advertised on the conversation box (e.g. cbox). Neither do I endorse the opinions of, or warrant the accuracy of facts or other Content contributed by, any third party. I am not liable for any action you take or decision you make in reliance on any Content.

As a result, I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE QUALITY, SAFETY OR LEGALITY OF THE ITEMS ADVERTISED, THE TRUTH OR ACCURACY OF THE LISTINGS, THE ABILITY OF SELLERS TO SELL ITEMS OR THE ABILITY OF BUYERS TO BUY ITEMS. I cannot ensure that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction. You should look to the seller for any refunds, credits or adjustments to a transaction. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY, AND OFFER NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, REGARDING YOUR TRANSACTION WITH ANY INDIVIDUAL SELLER(S) OR ANY PARTS YOU PURCHASE FROM A SELLER, OR ANY INFORMATION, INCLUDING CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, YOU GIVE TO A SELLER.

Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com does not assume copyright for images used that are not owned by Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com, such images are used only to illustrate a point or when they are relevant to an article written by the author of Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com .If you are the owner of the image and would like it removed please contact trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com