CONTACT US: trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com
Switch to mobile site HERE

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

YUMA "Press Play" Carnival 2012 Review

Its hard to believe that only a few hours ago we were all still chipping down the road, celebrating another incarnation of Trinidad Carnival. This year I decided to jump ship from a band that I played 'marse' with for three years to try out the 'All Inclusive' package. Needless to say, I choose YUMA and it was quite an interesting experience.

Costume Collection: A++
I must commend YUMA for their extremely smooth costume collection service. At no point did I have to quarrel, curse or beg anyone for any piece of my costume. By the time my receipt was scanned, the costume was already assembled and ready for you by the time you made it to a CSR. Although I was one of the few who didnt get all of the stuff in the goodie bag, thats just an oversight I believe....I dont know why grown people quarreling and vexed because they didnt get corn curls or free condoms...anyways YUMA great job on distribution.

Costume: A++
I just loved my male Azteca costume.....love love loved it. The glue however is too weak though...come on folks...use magnatac...its messy but its stronger.

Carnival monday: C
Hands down this was the worst carnival Monday I have ever had in my 6 years of playing adult mas. I commend YUMA for arranging a very close meeting point near the savannah but clearly someone did not THINK that the trucks would not have been able to turn the corners! Not only did this kill the vibes but it was also very dangerous as at several points they nearly pulled down wires and damage the roofs of nearby buildings.

Crossing the stage was 'meh'. I dont know if it was because it was so early or because the stands were empty or what - but it was the first time that I have walked across the savannah stage. It was weird...we had to wait for the music to arrive while on stage and I even heard a friend complain that the end of the band didnt get music....again it was strange...I really dunno what happened there.

Lunch! Well boy where to start....to begin having all of those masqueraders on the bridge to enter St. Mary's Grounds was so dangerous...god forbid if it did collapse....and I think that is a very real possibility. Next, there were no signs at the 3 tents to get your food! So people had to go up to the tents to figure out what was being served. Once I joined the queue this is where people's true colours came out. Common sense dictates that you cannot serve food into boxes with scores of hungry people in front of you in the hot sun. It just wont work. Case in point...for those of us who received 'box lunch' as children, we know that the food is prepared early in the morning and packed into the boxes and then placed into the insulated boxes...where they can stay safe and warm for at least 8 hours....So can someone explain to me why suberb catering got that stupid idea to dish it out on the spot? S-T-U-P-I-D!

Next...the behaviour by some masqueraders was just unacceptable. I would love to use a very inappropriate word for the behaviour I saw, but lets just say it was gutter trash behaviour. I saw men fighting with caterers. Women cursing the caterers. People skipping. Men cursing women. People throwing down food....yes ...people so vex they throw down the food. It was so bad, my cousin came to me from the Hakka tent in tears...tears...as they threw her down as people scrambled for food. At one point I saw a short fat girl climb onto the table and started to curse curse curse....really guys? YUMA this is totally unacceptable and you must not use those caterers next year and ensure that security is there to monitor the lines!

Carnival Tuesday: A+++
Despite me having to run to meet the band in time...I must say YUMA, you did extremely well on Tuesday. Crossing the stage early was epic...I have not crossed that early since Tico Skinner and Harts how many years ago! Road vibes was just awesome...drinks both alcoholic and non-alcoholic were just flowing...Iwer on stage was just EPIC! Lunch was much better organised and I must give Danielle Jones two thumbs up as I overheard her on Tuesday discussing some of the changes they made between Monday and Tuesday. Heading to St. James and Mucarapo on Tuesday was a great idea but sadly we were beseiged by stormers once we headed down the avenue. Thats a consequence I guess when you head in that direction at that hour of the day. I am curious to know how in the world did stormers get legit yuma wrist bands....I point fingers at masqueraders....come on folks stop spoiling the fun for others and it will only result in yourself getting extreme difficulty to get into the band next year.

All in all I give YUMA an A....They have definately made up for their shortcomings last year and most importantly to me the road vibes was on point. I would definately play again with them in 2013 if given the chance.

See you guys next year
JP

3 comments:

Marx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marx said...

Marx said...
I wondered at the stormers with wrist bands as well. As the evening got later I started to see more and more non-costumed (and I dare say not too wholesome looking) people in the band and when I looked closer, lo and behold a wrist band. It wasn't a safe feelng. Because they seemed to have come from nowhere. But from my years playing with Tribe once you hit Mucurapo in the evening, expect to pick up all sorts of stragglers from nearby. And strange enough, security who were most present on Ethel Street, went missing somewhere along Mucurapo Road as well.... not cool and dangerous for female masqueraders. ALL bands need to look into this and do better for their masqueraders.

Carnivalcocoa said...

Also bands should not be blamed for masqueraders' behavior. I don't care what band it is, that is not their fault.
Masqueraders are responsible for their own behavior, good or bad. Fighting for food? Really? It's not that serious that a little common courtesy, some assertiveness if needed, and just being grown couldn't fix.

Copyright Notice:
All photos and original articles by the author of this site are copyright of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com therefore all rights are reserved. Original content found within this Web site are protected by international copyright laws. No content of any type from this site may be sold, republished, modified, uploaded, reformatted or copied without the express consent of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com Should you require to use any of the material originally published on www. trinidadcarnivaldiary.com for personal or public use please e-mail trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com

Disclaimer

It is important to impress that the views reflected by this blog are mine alone and not necessarily views held by Triniscene. You cannot contact Triniscene and ask for their assistance in swaying or monitoring anything that is written on this blog.

All Content is for informational purposes only. I make reasonable efforts to ensure the completeness and accuracy of all content of the blog. However, I do not guarantee the completeness or accuracy of any information on this blog. There are various risks you assume in relying on the Content. We make reasonable efforts to provide accurate Content on the blog, but at times I may not promptly update or correct the blog even if I am aware that it is inaccurate, outdated or otherwise inappropriate.

While at times, I highlight certain services, websites, merchandise and such, I do not endorse any product. Nor do I use this blog to sell any merchandise. Also, I DO NOT endorse or encourage any products, costumes or services advertised on the conversation box (e.g. cbox). Neither do I endorse the opinions of, or warrant the accuracy of facts or other Content contributed by, any third party. I am not liable for any action you take or decision you make in reliance on any Content.

As a result, I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE QUALITY, SAFETY OR LEGALITY OF THE ITEMS ADVERTISED, THE TRUTH OR ACCURACY OF THE LISTINGS, THE ABILITY OF SELLERS TO SELL ITEMS OR THE ABILITY OF BUYERS TO BUY ITEMS. I cannot ensure that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction. You should look to the seller for any refunds, credits or adjustments to a transaction. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY, AND OFFER NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, REGARDING YOUR TRANSACTION WITH ANY INDIVIDUAL SELLER(S) OR ANY PARTS YOU PURCHASE FROM A SELLER, OR ANY INFORMATION, INCLUDING CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, YOU GIVE TO A SELLER.

Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com does not assume copyright for images used that are not owned by Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com, such images are used only to illustrate a point or when they are relevant to an article written by the author of Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com .If you are the owner of the image and would like it removed please contact trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com