The FMV or fair market value when all things were assessed coupled with the money paid upfront and the money spent to cover auxiliary costs - resulted in the refund issued. That is the long and short of it!
If an additional refund is sought – consult the delightful folks at the Customs and Immigration (Agriculture and Wildlife) department in Trinidad and Tobago. A refund was issued based on what transpired and what was later learnt which shall remain confidential given that there are clients who visit this blog and currently retain the services of DesigningDARYL for Trinidad Carnival 2011 and beyond.
Caution was exercised when a response was sought for the TCD post dated October 19th, 2010 "Customer Service Review – Boots by Daryl" merely because of the nature in which occurrences went downhill and the key players involved. Be it known, there are a myriad of unknowns that the viewing public do not know about and while their "grievance" post was long overdue and filled with unnecessary information to make a solid case – it is simply at the end of the day – ENTERTAINMENT!
A response would simply dignify the testimonial post that was submitted to Trinidad Carnival Diary (TCD) – but dignified or not – a response/statement is warranted and in this particular case, these are the facts:
1) A refund (partial) was issued. A FULL refund to which we do not know the true cost could not be issued. When there is an unknown – a mutually agreed upon amount is taken as the new "full refund."
2) The boots were completed, stories WERE NOT manufactured to cover anything, and they were HELD in QUARANTINE in CUSTOMS in Trinidad and Tobago.
3) DesigningDARYL has a job, and doesn't need your refund to compliment his paycheck! In many states in the United States that would constitute defrauding the government. And given the nature of your background (legal) attention should be paid both to these legal facts and the grammatical tenses of your asinine post!
4) A late fee was assessed. You "contracted" DD late like you said. And for the record – the pricing chart for DD's services are readily available for anyone who would like to contact coxdaryl@hotmail.com with your individual request.
5) Boots are NOT PURCHASED by DesigningDARYL. You provide your very own boots to avoid incurring a custom order charge. This is the way it has always been done and it ensures that clients are comfortable with the boots they are wearing.
6) DesigningDARYL is more passionate about work than mostly anything else. Enjoyment is derived from seeing satisfied consumers (of which are many) contact with just a thought or an idea and it is executed with a meticulous accuracy that can only be expressed as "breath-taking" when put together.
7) There was an increase off new clients this year, largely because of the work done in Toronto, Boston, New York and Miami. All satisfied customers and of course a steady base of existing clients return annually for renewed work. Your post will not hinder that because like you said for some, "they prefer the talent over the business acumen!"
8) PROPER TARGET MARKET RESEARCH WAS NOT DONE!!! Had this been done – YOU would not have ended up a client. Albeit "disgruntled".
Folks need to come to the realization that entering into a country (whether it's yours by birth or you are a visitor) is a PRIVILEDGE and NOT A RIGHT and so it is up to the customs personnel, as your first point of contact, to be the ambassadors of their country and protect their countries' best interest! The sheer amount of feathers placed on the boots (half pound plumes 14" - 26" varying lengths, 4 yards of 6-8 coque feathers, metallic braids, bejeweled appliqués) was in this case "declarable" by Customs' standards and without the proper documentation was seized. This addresses another asinine comment about Carnival Queens and their feather transportation since most notable queens have their materials including feathers shipped in advance. (Anra Bobb – 7 time Trinidad Queen of Carnival is on speed dial).
The boots were nice, they were ornate, over the top and FABULOUS. All of which you expected and paid for. DO NOT make this post about a refund – you were refunded the amount to which you were entitled AND you were sent your product. A mutually agreed amount. – and this will be the LAST of this – because I for one have dismissed your case in my court! The resulting issue of not receiving the product in Trinidad for use at Carnival cannot be blamed on one person since many were at work in this dilemma. And for that you were compensated. Do not attempt greed!
Personal attacks on financial situations hinting that your refund is tied to paychecks are childish and silly at best! Please save that kind of fodder for imix – you have familiarity and notoriety there. Please do not confuse this statement for cowardice, acceptance or ignorance.
On your situation alone – close to $1000 US was spent in numerous attempts to clear your boots – so DON'T purport your ridiculous reports about my "winding down" in numerous fabulous fetes. You are letting your emotions impair your good judgment. You know better! Your feelings at this point could only be worked out by you, further consolation cannot be offered.
Your custom-designed boots were returned to you and a refund issued. To seek the consolation of an inconsolable customer is really not the job of a merchant in any way shape of form. To come to an amicable resolve is the best that could be done and that was achieved.
The talent like you have so rightly put it will speak for itself. And to your one lonely post that is drenched in your "tears" of being victimized when we BOTH know that is not the case – could be swiftly and vehemently dominated by many other notable posts on this very blog - praising my work, character and BUSINESS ACUMEN. Can we say the same about "IslandSOUL?" – Have a wonderful evening!


29 comments:
What an arrogant prick!
Co-sign hottie.
Daryl, look- the boots looked awesome. Honestly and truly. And yes the customer has to bear some responsibility because she sent in her boots quite late. I mean, January for February? I never thought that you purchased the boots for her, nor did she express that. But that's by the by. From the time YOU decorated the wrong boots, YOU became responsible for whatever happened. The boots getting quarantined in Trinidad is NOT her fault. You should have alerted her to the possibility that that might happen, so she could at least make an informed decision. But she paid $50 for boots to make it to Trinidad, unaware that she might not even get them once she got there.
BUT the whole thing could have been resolved, if the refund was issued promptly. You promised her a refund (I'm not really arsed about the amount. That's between the pair of you) and she's pissed off because she had to run you down for it. And then WAIT for it. That isn't right. You didn't do the right thing, so all your bollocks about market research and you dismissing the case in your court is just that- bollocks.
Fact is, you need to accept the fact that you exercised poor judgement. Of course she's pissed off. I woulda been pissed off too. If you'd refunded her the week you got back to the States, and said "Look, I'm really sorry for the way things turned out." and even offered some sort of incentive for her boots next year, you could have had a customer for life. But all your bragging that you have a bajillion customers does nothing to sway me.
Customers need to feel like they're being treated respectfully and at the end of the day, she doesn't feel like that. It is her right as a PAYING customer to feel like that. You didn't offer to decorate the boots for free, so your response is completely over the top and unnecessary.
@msjbunny - you dont know me, and you're merely going on what is being posted. READ: this is not an attack. But there are many emails from me to these clients that suggest otherwise. I am not going to place those emails on TCD because this is not the place for it. Your opinions of me (Everyone) will be just that - opinions, and you are entitled to it. I am simply asking you to read through the lines.
Is someone who is really out of touch or being hunted - would post emails, one when I am leaving the country and then when I am in Miami on the same day? I was in constant contact with these two - AND further more where my contact reduced from email to phone calls in Trinidad - where I have to deal with BMobile and Digicel's service areas and where I am stationed at any given time etc etc. I am not going to go through that. Not for this customer who is notorious for this type of behavior.
My work speaks for itself and my demeanor as misunderstood as it could be sometimes is something that I make no apologies for. Love me or hate me - I am simply ME. PAY ME! lmao!!!
Oh - n *smooches* hottie.... RRRRRrrrrrrrr lol
Oh and as an addendum to my comment - my post needed to be quite over the top to address the questions in the comments section as well as emails received as a result of this post.
Saucy offered an opportunity to place a response on her blog and I used it to the best advantage of all who contacted.
I will only answer comments that are not addressed in my post in the comments section. Thanks for your attention though...
Well said Bunny! Well said!
This entire debacle is, at the end of the day, demonstrative of poor customer service. AND I also do not believe the client should have had to pay that add'tl $50 to have DD take her boots to Trinidad because HE made a mistake and decorated the wrong boots and given his need for add'tl time to correct his errors he then needed to transport the boots to Trinidad himself. That cost should have been borne by him AND then once he realized things would not have worked out with customs he should have informed the clients immediately. These are women who are obviously willing to go the distance to maximize their carnival experience and come on they had to resort to using sneakers when they had paid all that money to have some slamming boots. A refund means all money expended. He did not agree to a partial refund after x or y deductions but to a refund period which should have included that extra $50 as well.
And his response (despite him taking the time to craft it as he claimed) does make him come off as arrogant and ill-equipped to throw stones. Even if I know someone who is happy with their experience with DD I would not chance using his services primarily due to his tirade here. It does not auger confidence, trust or a sense that customer service is a priority.
Then Daryl, the onus is on YOU as the one providing the service to say "Listen, it's far too late and I can't guarantee the boots will be ready in time. So if you want to take the chance, then be warned." Or you could have said "Well, just so you know, your boots might get quarantined in Trinidad if I take them in and there is a chance that you may not have them for the road. What do you want to do?" That them shifts responsibility from the service provider (yourself) onto the customer. But you didn't do either of those things.
The fact is, you took her money and did not provide the service. Regardless of all the runaround with customs and what not, she did not have her boots for the road, and unless she finds someone to strip them down, does it herself, plays in an orange costume or sells the boots, she has a useless pair of boots sat in her closet.
Like I said, the boots looked completely wicked. Can't fault you on that. But based on your response on the blog, you are not a person I would like to have any sort of business dealings with. I'm doing MY market research here and making sure my BUSINESS ACUMEN is up to scratch.
You most certainly have a right to responda and air your side, if someone has posted a negative review, but I find your tone to be highly unprofessional. But, not like you'd care, since you have that Carnival Queen on speed dial. Yay you!
The folks were made well aware of the time constraints with the boots. I offered to mail the boots back to them when completed (they were going to be switched decorating styles and re-worked) I sent them a drop dead date of receiving the boots of Friday Jan 29th but it was too late for them. I offered expedited shipping but it was too much for them. The time it would take me to do the boots was of no consequence to them. They (from what I gathered) made their informed decision - she in fact said that she had many Boston friends that play mas and know me very well. I did what I was supposed to do. I DID NOT know that your boots could be held in customs. Neither did a lot of folks. It is solely up to the discretion of the customs' official to let you pass with the feathers you have as a professional courtesy. They exercised their authority and made an example of me (I guess). I am better equipped now to handle things better. But be it as it may - arrogant or not. Above lay the facts - decide how the dice lay... Two very different sides.
Then Daryl, SAY THAT! Don't put a load of twaddle about your business acumen and entering a country is a privilege (no 'd'. I can only hope your day job isn't in education) and all that codswallop.
State the facts! You did yourself NO favours with this response. NONE. You come off as a bit petty and very unprofessional. She posted emails you sent, then you post emails she sent. State your side of the case plainly and clearly. Don't get carried away with the emotion of it all.
You just ended up looking a bit of a penis.
msjbunny - then you have missed the point. My intent was to use Saucy's blog only once to address everything at once - A sounding board if you will. Not to have this back and forth but I can see that is to no avail (lol). Saucy's blog is visited quite often (she has the stats) MOST do not comment but all are edified by its contents. So it is no surprise that once the post went up, I was contacted by BBM/Facebook/Phone/Email/texts all about the same thing or to "go and check out Saucy Blog" etc etc.
Meanwhile I was made aware of the intended post WAY BEFORE it ended up on the blog and had the luxury to request that it NOT be posted. I had no problem with it being posted and in fact I insisted that it be posted. But what I did was address both sets of questions/allegations using this one medium (TCD) instead of responding to every individual comment.
So while on the grand scale it may appear that most of the facts have no relevance, they in fact do. And to those that they apply to - will look at it and be duly edified.
You will find in time that I do things quite differently from everyone else. I often respond quite differently from everyone else - because I try my best to look at things holistically. And its for that reason that most LOVE to HATE me...
What an arrogent prick is an understatement!!!
I agree with msjbunny your response did not justify not refunding the money it seemed to me that u were more concerned with using big words that were out of place, so I guess Saucys title was right " Daryl speaks or does he" ?
Although the boots were very HOTTTTT, some of us ARE concerned with good customer service which it seems that u were lacking. I have been following the posts and something just don’t add up, you keep talking but I don’t see any facts. Where is the proof that u did right by this customer.
I am laughing at de Arrogance, wow I'm in absolute shock. this guy I have heard things about him but he comes across as more of a jumped up queen that is in awe of his self proclaimed talent.
I'm Shocked!!!
Good Luck Daryl I think your going to need it
The way a sentence is worded carries alot of weight and even more implications...and I'm sorry DD you do come across arrogant and probably should have taken the 'luxury' of not having the customer's review posted.
Daryl arrogant or not you have talent can't done and we do have to overlook some of the drama the talented have.
I wish i could afford to have you decorate my boot cause that messed up boot looks fabulous i tell you
As for the customer I do feel your pain so dont think I am dissing you
This isn't about loving to hate...that would be more about emotion, which lends itself to subjectivity, or speculation, which can lead to an overdramatization of the facts...What I'm trying to understand are the cold, hard facts, so far I have:
the order came in late, a late fee was levied, the boots were incorrectly done, there was a challenge with shipping which was to have been solved by DD bringing the boots himself, the unforeseen quarantine of the boots and DD's efforts to have them released, the masqueraders went on the road in sneakers (since the sizes and colours could not be exchanged between the two ladies, right?), DD agreed to provide a refund, a partial refund was received after some time and the boots (still mismatched and post-Carnival) were sent to the revellers.
Do I have it about right?
Talent, creativity and artistry are fantastic and without them, there is no service. Here, certainly based on the photo, DD's work is impressive.
However, the business aspect (effectively communicating with the client, accurate costing, and delivering the requested product to the client's satisfaction) is just as critical - and there I feel DD faltered quite a bit. The most beautiful creation in the world will always be tarnished if how it was delivered leaves a bad taste in the client's mouth...and each client is an individual and an opportunity.
I know none of the parties involved in this. I only know what I have read in yesterday's review, and today's response.
While it is good to defend one's case, sometimes it is better to say nothing at all.
What I read today seemed to come from a businessman who took a customer's money, did not deliver what was paid for, and then decided to keep some of the money.
That may seem logical to some. It doesn't to me. It's like ordering a burger, and being handed a hotdog and some of your money back.
Perhaps, it would have been more prudent for the businessman to keep the boots (which he could sell to one of his many, satisfied clients) and refund this costumer all of the money she sent (since she didn't get what she paid for) plus the cost of her boots (after copy of receipt is provided). To me that seems more fair. It also shows goodwill on the part of the businessman, and would have probably avoided an unfavourable review. But then again, I have absolutely zero BUSINESS ACUMEN.
Daryl made plenty of points in his post and plenty more here, but STILL hasn't addressed why it seems that the boots were never corrected.
OK, Customs held the boots, why are the decorations still on the wrong boots?
OK, you kept in touch, why is the decoration is still on the wrong boot?
OK, people love to hate you, but why are the decorations still on the wrong boots?
OK, you sent a fabulously decorated pair of boots, but why are they still decorated for the next chick's costume?
(If you weren't going to switch them, does it really matter that you spent $1000 trying to clear them?)
In fact, I feel Daryl owes them more money because the agreement to pay extra to have him carry the boots on a flight seems to have been based on him correcting them.
Talent and creativity is great, but the women weren't wearing his talent and creativity in their carnival photos. It kinda makes the Customs situation moot, because it was STILL the wrong decoration on each pair of boots.
Steups. I really feel for them. After paying frontline price and paying proper attention to footwear, I woulda felt extremely disappointed (and mortified) to be in sneakers on carnival day.
I hope you ladies gave a dutty cussing after you received the partial refund!! No $100 refund could have made up for wearing a last minute sneakers with my costume.
really, this debate is about poor logistical planning re: anticipating any issues with customs and being prepared with anticipated paperwork and monies BEFORE reaching customs. This should not be the fault/responsibility of the consumer, unless you explicitly stipulated in a written contractual agreement of some sorts that additional payment is needed to clear customs and for other incidentals.
regardless, this is a learning moment, and going forward i hope he uses the lessons learned to be even a better business.
KayaKitty finally someone with some real sense, i was sitting here pondering the same thing, the evidence of both sides are put before us, and the same thing sticks in my head everything was going smoothly until he realised he decorated the wrong boots.
he then stated they had to be re-done and this would mean shipping the direct to trinidad on one hand saying he is clueless but on another hand seeming very clued up to the Agicultural and Custom Laws with Feathers. he had also charged these girls a premium not just for fitting them in late but also to carry the boots to trinidad, and all this time the boots are still not decorated correctly? so if he had got these boots released and handed to the customer as agreed in Trinidad they would still be totally un-wearable.
in my view a FULL refund plus compensation should have been paid.
My advice to people is all these backdoor businesses popping up offering services be very careful, your rights as a consumer may not be the same if any issues like this took place as with a registered company, Everyone is looking to make a fast buck by offering Carnival Services just do your homework and may sure they are reputable first.
KayaKitty talks it plain and straight...and he still has yet to explain the botched order, and why, even after all that time and only a partial refund...the mistake remained uncorrected.
@dajewel, but the painful thing is that he doesn't seem to think he's done anything wrong, or have ANY lessons to learn. It sad
Attitude boy! Waaaay sah! Ditto to every single thing She Who Weaves Words, Dino, and Kayakitty said.
Daryl, from now on it's best to have a STRICT deadline for taking in orders; let's say November/December. I've seen people do this. Save yourself the drama because that late order extra fee and all that money hustling business were soooooo not worth it.
To all my fellow masqueraders: if you find yourself running late with boots at the 99th hour and nobody CLOSEBY to you to hook it up, just stick the costume's leg pieces to the boot and t'row orn some glitter dust yes.
You'll still be a fierce mama.
Lessons to be learned here by all.
yuh right deh, Cocoa, if she did as you suggest, she would be rocking boots instead of sneakers in FL.
I am in shock at the response from this self-proclaimed business man.
Monkey really know which tree to climb yes, cause I guarantee you that if it was me, things wouldn't have gone down this smoothly. I find these women were VERY understanding and accomodating.
First off, I see no relevance in when the boots were ordered. You took the order and assessed a late fee. Therefore, the promise of decorated boots was made. If you knew there was a possibility that you could not fulfill the order, you shouldn't have taken it. And you have the nerve to call the women who want back their rightful refund greedy... Sounds like you are the greedy one trying to squeeze in as many orders as you can with no regard for whether you can fulfill the orders or not.
When you incorrectly decorated the boots, it became YOUR responsibility to not only fix it, but make sure it was on those women's feet come Carnival Monday by any means necessary. No way in HELL I was paying to have you transport boots that YOU messed up. Those ladies were very nice because trust me, you would have been getting those boots to me on your dollar.
Furthermore, these women deserve to be refunded the decorating fee $175 plus the $50 they paid you to transport the boots. So in my opinion, you owe these women AT LEAST $225. Honey, you're $125 short. Do the right thing and give these women their money.
You have truly tarnished your image and I don't care how much talent you have, trust me, you will never get a dollar from me or my friends.
This is the worse example of customer service I have EVER heard of and "Designing Darryl", you're acting like something else that starts with a D and ends in an "I-C-K".
Waw what a ridiculous response, this man is unbelievable, all I have to say is anybody order boots or any service from this man again is a DAMN FOOL...but of course to each his own....
Maybe this is all a carnival diary prank??? he really couldn't be serious with that bag of rubbish he wrote right?? nah ..
DDarryl damn right - charge them and do what is right in your "court" yes boy!
These people feel as though they could wait all year round and then come at the last minute and abuse yuh services - just so they could go back and tell dey blasted friend and dem "oh Darryl do this and that whatever" - BUT IT GOOD FOR YUH lol -
I tell yuh to only deal with certain people but you wah help de world cause of yuh culture! Now look they come on Saucy and properly LAMBASTE yuh azz!! HAHAHA - Yuh is meh friend still doh
And yes folks HE does do PROPER WOK! I could tell yuh people he will be "doctoring" my TRIBE costume and anybody who know me KNOW WHEN I COME I DOES COME CORRECT! everytime!
Arrogant or not - de man good - and all yuh damn well know - all yuh does take everything these "arrogant bands" give all yuh and drink it down so save all yuh dotish comments. He damn right!
From how I see he does conduct business - is more in de mortar than de pestle - and if all yuh know him - would see that! But in the end all yuh dont know him so is just chatter, chatter, chatter... HAHAHA
Carry on folks, cyah wait till I hear bout all yuh dotish azz posts on this blog when somebody sellin they costume for a 100% markup and all yuh have something to say or wha condemn the seller - HUSH ALL YUH TAIL - is the people choice to do what they want. Just watch it and be amused!!! and be HAPPY IS NOT YOU!!!!
OK so he FINALLY found somebody to come in here and say something in his defense. Or did he.... considering the person JUST NOW make an account to post up something. Sometimes you just have to admit defeat and walk away, walk away "Deadbeat" Daryl, just walk away LMAO.....
eh eh...lol
lmao - all yuh have time boy. Well look ah ting... No sister - Pinky here all de way! Could not make meh namesake profile cause Pinky done taken AND Pinkyy too so ah come wid Pinky 3 lol. I doh post in here - until now. I does just read and laugh. And BEAT choopid gyul so try yuh bess eh. HAHAHA
Post a Comment