The reaction to K2K Alliance debut presentation "The Waters" for Carnival 2012 judging from comments and feedback on Facebook has been very positive with adjectives and superlatives such as "fashion meets mas", "avant garde designs" and "haute couture" used to describe the costumes. Many see it as a youthful, fresh and much needed presentation to fill the void that is needed to balance out "bikini and beads" with artistic mas, does Brian Mac Farlane finally have some competition? Only time will tell .
Personally I really like the presentation, I could definitely see myself playing in a few of those costumes even though I love my feathers! What I like is the fact that this is not the usual "alternative mas" that drapes you in voluminous fabric just to be the antithesis of bikini and beads. The costumes are sexy, beautiful, well constructed and theatrical; for someone who loves costumes that are over the top you still get the dramatic effect with the detailing and backpacks. I love that the designers used bikini tops, bikini bottoms and lots of gems on the costumes but they are so integrated into the design that it is not the main feature of the costume.I also loved the leg pieces, I think they are a cohesive element in the band.
My only criticisms would be that the colour palette is a bit muted, I love bright colours for Carnival so I am naturally drawn to the The Red Sea, Caribbean Sea and The Yellow Sea as my favourites even though I am absolutely loving the bustier option of The Dead Sea. Some of the male costumes although very well tailored look as though they are missing additional costume elements, however I read on K2K's Facebook Fanpage that the options for backpacks would also be given to the males, if this is true then I can see how the male costumes will be on par with the female counter part.
As for the launch itself I loved the fact that it seemed as if we were looking at a fashion show, the models were VERY well styled, from makeup to hair it was all perfectly coordinated with the costuming. I would have liked if an announcer let us know the section names as they came out as well as it would have been great to have some literature on the band given to patrons; many of those in the crowd seemed to be unaware that a band launch was taking place at Saute and who this band was.
Looking forward to the launch of the website; section and registration details for "The Waters" will be released first week in October.
The Nicome River
The Red Sea
The Dead Sea
The Yellow Sea
The Saraswati River
The River Jordan
The Sea of Galliee
The Caribbean Sea

























5 comments:
Very nice and creative indeed. Way better than them ting from de X people. This is alternative creative mas that works! Definately a contender for MacFarlane.
Reminds me of star trek meets aeon flux meets fifth element! FIERCE!
Loved them then and now! Everything about these costumes were just gorgeous and they oozed edge and jammetteous-sophistication! They looked so expensive but rumour has it that they cost the same as the other bands ie $4000 for backline and $6000 for frontline!!
Dread.... sigh....
Fabulous!!!!! I loved them ALL. Finally, a band brought edgy art to the mas; an Alexander McQueen-like aesthetic.
No comment by section this time Saucy?
I can't wait for October. Need to find out if I can afford to play mas next year lol (looks like it could be my first time).
I'm really happy to see this band launch, they totally bridge the gap between the (too artsy) artistic costumes and the (too scanty) skimpy costumes. Exactly the kind of thing I've been waiting for.
The only downside for me is that they still dropped the ball with most of the male costumes. They stepped out of the "board-short box" but I was not expecting the safe route of sliced up formal wear.
Post a Comment