Complete your Carnival look with face jewels & glitter
Saturday, February 17th 2007
Carnival is the perfect time of year to go beyond with your make-up. Compliment your gorgeous costume with face jewels, glitter and metallic eye shadows to have every photographers' camera on you as you cross the stage or the judging points.
Here are some tips on how to apply face jewels and glitter. Don't be afraid to experiment with different patterns and themes - after all this is what Carnival is all about!
Prepare the Face:
- Prepare your skin with a moisturizer with at least an SPF 15. Blend your foundation into the skin followed by your concealer, if needed. If you can get a foundation with an SPF, you will get double the sun protection. Make sure you set with a light dusting of powder and a mist of make-up setting spray. This is essential since you want the make-up to last under these extreme conditions of heat and perspiration.
- Fill in the brows with a dark brown or black eyebrow pencil.
- Line the eyes with a black eye pencil or whatever shade takes your fancy - this is the time to go wild with your silver or gold liners and so on.
- If you want to add smoky definition to the eye do this with your darkest shade of shadow such as black, brown or dark blue.
Applying Your Glitter:
Choose the shades of glitter that best compliment your complexion and the hues of your costume. Glitter comes in three forms: powders, gels and lotions. Choose the one you feel most comfortable using.
The Eyes: You can use different shades of glitter on the eye to add depth and dimension. Light colored glitter such as gold, silver or iridescent can be used under the eye brows with a medium hue on the eyelids. The smoky effect you put in during your face preparation stage will add that depth on the eye without too much mess or fuss.
The Body: You can choose to put glitter all over your body or select focal points such as chest, décolletage, arm, back and lower legs. Use baby oil or baby oil gel as a base and then your glitter dust will adhere easily.
Key Tip: A cotton bud dipped in baby oil makes a great application tool, helping the glitter to move easily from your container to the face and giving you more control in the application. There is also glitter glue that you can use for more long lasting results.
Mess Control: Glitter is a very messy substance to work with, so if you want to maintain glitter primarily on the eye area, ask a friend to hold a folded page just under your eye while you are applying the glitter.
Applying Face Jewels:
- It is a good idea to figure out the pattern of design you would like to achieve with your face jewels before actually applying the glue and sticking them on. Remember you have already applied your foundation and powder so you want to do minimal damage to this surface.
- You can place the jewels on the face without the glue (they will hold on for a few minutes!) while you conceptualize your design.
- Once you have your masterpiece defined, apply a dot of eyelash glue or spirit glue to the back of the rhinestone. Remember, just a dot! Do not apply too much glue otherwise when you press it onto the skin it will spread out around the rhinestone, creating an unsightly mess.
- Allow to gel for about 15 seconds before applying to the face. Try to gauge exactly where you will be putting the rhinestone before sticking on the face so you won't have to drag it.
Continue until you have completed your design and voila you are ready for Carnival day!