Though TRIBE is my band of choice at the moment, I honestly do not consider myself a band loyalist, which may surprise many of my critics. When I speak out against other bands it is only because they have failed to live up to the standards of customer service and overall Carnival experience that I have come to expect from my years of playing mas. Fact is I have played with Barbarossa, Harts, Poison and TRIBE over the years, which to me is a representation of how I have evolved from my first foray into “big people mas” fresh out of high school into a Carnival Diva of sorts, demanding much more from my overall Carnival experience than just a nice costume. And in the distant future, while I presently try to hold on to every scrap of my youth, I intend to again change bands as I grow tired of “bikini costumes”, looking for mas with much more depth and meaning (as well as fabric to cover the body changed by the hands of father time). Therefore I am not going to brand myself as being loyal to any one band for life.
Presently I am quite satisfied with TRIBE, and once I remain satisfied they have got a “loyal customer” for many years to come. However, do not be confused, that still does not mean I am blindly loyal and will not be afraid to not only criticize their short comings but I will also take my business elsewhere if they fail to give me what I consider to be value for my money based on my standards. Consequently I am always excited to see the costumes from each band, and I can acknowledge and appreciate the creativity and talent that goes into creating those beautiful costumes. Each year there are several costumes, apart from my own, that I absolutely adore! It is quite amusing to be sometimes to encounter those loyalists who will not even look at another band’s offerings!
It is quite commendable having such allegiance to a Carnival Band I suppose, being faithful in spite of elements that may not be to your liking thus eliminating any other bands as an alternative. All I can say on blind loyalty is that after many years of playing with Harts, a band which I did enjoy tremendously, it was time for me to look for something “more” and if I did not take that initial chance to breakaway from something that was familiar it would not have lead to me to finding Sonia Mack or now TRIBE. So I am quite curious as to why the self confessed band loyalists are so staunch in their commitment to the band of their choosing, humor me and answer the following questions:
- Do you consider yourself a band loyalist?
- Which band do you play with and how many years have you played with them?
- Prior to the band you are now loyal to, which bands have you played with in the past and what made you leave to play with another?
- Since affirming your loyatly to said band did you ever stray and play with another band?
- If yes, which band have you played with and how was the experience?
- What has this band done to earn your loyalty?
- Do you think you should be rewarded by the band for your loyalty?
- How can said band continue to keep you loyal to them only?
- Can you see yourself possibly playing with another band? If yes which one?
- Any regrets for having such loyalty ?
Leave me a comment, your opinions will be revealed in a continuation of this article at a later date.
Thanks in advance for the contribution!