CONTACT US: trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com
Switch to mobile site HERE

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Legacy ...first look

"Passages - A Journey Through the Motherland" is Legacy's 2008 Carnival offering and costumes were revealed last night at the Anchorage. There were 19 sections shown, however I only got the names of a few as there was no way to retain the names of the various sections without having some form of literature.

Unfortunately, up to the time I left patrons were not presented with a booklet or calenders as is the norm at band launchigns these days. Nevertheless, I do have the name of the section which is my personal favourite and that one is called "Shaka". I also like "Ashanti Gold" and I have a pricing for "Kingdom of Kush"; female $2199.00, male $1999.00 all-inclusive. Prices are not bad at all. Overall I think the costumes look good, though some do not translate the theme as well as others; this is surely not traditional African mas as we have come to know it over the years.

Look out for my full review of the Launch as well as more photos added to my album on photobucket:

The White Nile




Smeliki Forest




Luo Dancers


Ashanti Gold




Reefs of Hurgada




Okavango Oasis




Royal City of Meroe









Saharan Sunset




Kingdom of Kush




The Cashbah




Masai Warrior




Shaka








Moroccan Dancers








Lake Turkana










Serengeti Safari








12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The costumes are gorgeous! The last one closest represents the theme of Africa though...and I was never a huge fan of yellow...but that yellow costume is stunning :)

shortrini said...

There is not one custume that looks like the motherland legacy needs to go black and do more research the only ban that custume that look like it's team is TRIBE

JayJayGhatt said...

Agreed trnygal, the last one looked African. And I can see where they were going with "Shaka", Asante Gold, and the two red sections: one looked like the Kenyan "Masai's" colors (the one with black) and then the other red looked Moroccon.

But as saucy said, it really is just beads and feather bikini mas and is not up to the caliber of more elaborate "African" mas, from these early pics anyway.


Let's just say WHAT I SEE SO FAR IS NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO

WAY CLOSE TO INDIA...THE STORY OF BOYIE!

I suppose if they had done more with incorporating other materials, cloth, and such and not simply use color and "African" headpieces it would have translated more to Africa...

maybe they will look good on the road and the band will be able to incorporate some Individual costumes, and other genuine "African" themese and elements to complement what is lacking in the costumes...

*sigh*


bachanalmas, what do you think?

BACHANALMAS said...

i dont get it...................somone help me out???
ok yea the shaka one is nice i was expecting to see a lil more cloth even jus drapped from the belt or shoulder like the white costume.
the headresses are standard generic legacy format the only real change is variation in beads and colour.
at least this year he has tried to finish the belts properly normally they have expensive beads on the front and the back is jus plain cheap beads (i wonder if they have reviewed the one size fits all belt issue?)
overall the mas is pretty yes but i dont feel it ticks the boxes of an african theme no doubt the names will though...........

Anonymous said...

the motherland real sexy boy

JayJayGhatt said...

i think the costumes are very pretty and VERY VERY SEXY. nothing wrong with that we are sexy in Africa. Carnival has deep roots in Africa after all no?

[b]bachanalmas[/b], agreed. I was looking for more elaborate and ornate beadwork in the belt pieces and more cloth. There are so many colors in the cloth and other elements that could be worked in: [b]Kente, Mud cloth, masks, geometric shapes, Egyptian ankhs, capes of faux African fur, Spears, shields, faux grass skirts,

check out this link:

http://www.virginislandspace.com.cnchost.com/
images/Playwr1.jpg

hey does anyone have link for pics of an African theme band from the past? I'm a relatively new Carnival masquerader and I don't have much to draw from other than my experience playing in Peter Elias section of Poison in 93 and that looked very African on the road despite being skimpy.

the overall effect evoked Africa just as I think will be able to be conveyed in this presentation as well on the Road. Overall, I think en masse,it will work and from my experience playing with [b]Legacy[/b] last year, I do know for a fact that the revellers stay in their section at each jumping point and look GREAT b/c of that.

JayJayGhatt said...

i meant 2003 for Peter Elias section of Poison, not 1993!

and please excuse my chat room tags that do not work in the comment box.

Oracle Bacchanal said...

There was a write up the other day about Legacy's presentation for '08 (i too lazy to go an look for it now) but he explains that the sections came from the book Passages and that it was not to be traditional african mas but rather his interpretation of Africa.

Anyway, i think the band looks great and I'm loving the the bead detail is giving Harts a run for their money and yet its all made from scratch in T&T -love Legacy for that!

dougla_1 said...

This is quite disappointing.

Well, if Legacy (and the ghosts of Legend) were ever trying to catch up with Harts quality of bead work, they finally reach, but that's all. I do have props for "Shaka" section, both female and male costumes. Where is the Motherland (I assume Africa)? Maybe they mean passage a journey through Harts (the motherland of all bikini mas).

I don't know why bands name any theme if they refuse to live up to those themes.

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

Apart from the few sections that were made by Neckelmann's in the past I would like to believe that Harts costumes are indeed also made by hand.. I think by scratch is taking it too literal since ALL bands import materials as we do not manufacture sequins, beads, spandex or fabric in Trinidad.

I also know many other bands who are having costumes made in Trinidad as I know the persons making them, parts of Sonia' Mack's Black Widow for instance is being made here,D Krewe's costumes, some sections in TRIBE.. I think only one band has gone on record to confirm that they are indeed importing costumes from China.

Anyway call me biased but Legacy is not in the same league as Harts when it comes to detail, I mean they only NOW started putting proper beads on the back of all sections LOL. I think the costumes are nice, much nicer than what I have seen from them in the past. And although the idea might have been to do a modern interpretation of African Mas there should have a greater attempt made to marry elements of the African costuming into bikini mas in my opinion.

Apart from some of the headpieces the basic costume can blend in with any other bikini band out there. I agree that maybe some fabric could have been used, possibly some cowrie shells instead of gold beads, and even some African print used on the belts and bras.

To see what "traditional" African mas is like have a read of this article on George Bailey, the master of this art form:

http://www.meppublishers.com/online/caribbean-beat/archive/index.php?pid=6001&id=cb65-1-44

Carnival Divaz said...

I know personally that some of Harts costumes are made in trini. Because the same woman in trini that made my bras and bottoms for my section in NY. Had already begun making Harts own since before labor day.

Socaholic said...

I had a fabulous time at the launch. It was truly a party crowd and we left Anchorage around 4:30.
The wining season has started. I'm still looking for some Bengay, my waist is sore.

Costume review is not my specialty.

Copyright Notice:
All photos and original articles by the author of this site are copyright of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com therefore all rights are reserved. Original content found within this Web site are protected by international copyright laws. No content of any type from this site may be sold, republished, modified, uploaded, reformatted or copied without the express consent of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com Should you require to use any of the material originally published on www. trinidadcarnivaldiary.com for personal or public use please e-mail trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com

Disclaimer

It is important to impress that the views reflected by this blog are mine alone and not necessarily views held by Triniscene. You cannot contact Triniscene and ask for their assistance in swaying or monitoring anything that is written on this blog.

All Content is for informational purposes only. I make reasonable efforts to ensure the completeness and accuracy of all content of the blog. However, I do not guarantee the completeness or accuracy of any information on this blog. There are various risks you assume in relying on the Content. We make reasonable efforts to provide accurate Content on the blog, but at times I may not promptly update or correct the blog even if I am aware that it is inaccurate, outdated or otherwise inappropriate.

While at times, I highlight certain services, websites, merchandise and such, I do not endorse any product. Nor do I use this blog to sell any merchandise. Also, I DO NOT endorse or encourage any products, costumes or services advertised on the conversation box (e.g. cbox). Neither do I endorse the opinions of, or warrant the accuracy of facts or other Content contributed by, any third party. I am not liable for any action you take or decision you make in reliance on any Content.

As a result, I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE QUALITY, SAFETY OR LEGALITY OF THE ITEMS ADVERTISED, THE TRUTH OR ACCURACY OF THE LISTINGS, THE ABILITY OF SELLERS TO SELL ITEMS OR THE ABILITY OF BUYERS TO BUY ITEMS. I cannot ensure that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction. You should look to the seller for any refunds, credits or adjustments to a transaction. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY, AND OFFER NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, REGARDING YOUR TRANSACTION WITH ANY INDIVIDUAL SELLER(S) OR ANY PARTS YOU PURCHASE FROM A SELLER, OR ANY INFORMATION, INCLUDING CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, YOU GIVE TO A SELLER.

Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com does not assume copyright for images used that are not owned by Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com, such images are used only to illustrate a point or when they are relevant to an article written by the author of Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com .If you are the owner of the image and would like it removed please contact trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com
Powered By Blogger