If you read Saucytrini's blog today, you may be wondering whether members of TRIBE are going their separate ways ... whether the band is splitting into two ... etc.
The situation is as follows:
For Carnival 2009, TRIBE will be offering masqueraders two options: an all-inclusive option and a non-inclusive option:
ALL-INCLUSIVE OPTION: Masqueraders will receive everything that they have been receiving since the band's inception: costume, drinks, food, etc.
NON-INCLUSIVE OPTION: Masqueraders will pay for costume only. However, costumes will be different from costumes provided in all-inclusive option and masqueraders will receive different colored wristbands. Masqueraders will also have the option of renting carts, where you (and your friends) will be responsible for supplying your cart with your own drinks (and food). Of course, costumes offered through this option will be less expensive than those offered in the all-inclusive option.
If this really comes to pass it is an EXCELLLENT business move by TRIBE. The waiting list for people wanting a costume was ridiculous this year, so what better way to not only make masqueraders who were left out happy but those who complain about not wanting all the “extras” and about the price can have more choice now.
On the positive side, I am hoping that this would mean the band is not as large as this year, but of course I can also foresee TRIBE 1 (original TRIBE) jacking up prices as you can always get a costume in TRIBE 2 for cheaper. TRIBE 2 sounds like it can work very well since Harts is a non-all inclusive band and was the only other band to sell out along with TRIBE. Once costumes are priced competitively, TRIBE can posie themselves to have a monopoly on Carnival! Ah the critics will have a field day!!
Anyway, as long as Super Mo Mo stays with TRIBE 1 that’s where I will be since I do enjoy my all-inclusive package and I lover her costumes. I can make a suggestion of which designers/section leaders can high tail it over to TRIBE 2 but I am thinking the smart move would be to still have the TRIBE trio,Gail, Lana and Monique design for BOTH bands!
I tell allyuh, I love Carnival, I love the bacchanal!!!!!
On the positive side, I am hoping that this would mean the band is not as large as this year, but of course I can also foresee TRIBE 1 (original TRIBE) jacking up prices as you can always get a costume in TRIBE 2 for cheaper. TRIBE 2 sounds like it can work very well since Harts is a non-all inclusive band and was the only other band to sell out along with TRIBE. Once costumes are priced competitively, TRIBE can posie themselves to have a monopoly on Carnival! Ah the critics will have a field day!!
Anyway, as long as Super Mo Mo stays with TRIBE 1 that’s where I will be since I do enjoy my all-inclusive package and I lover her costumes. I can make a suggestion of which designers/section leaders can high tail it over to TRIBE 2 but I am thinking the smart move would be to still have the TRIBE trio,Gail, Lana and Monique design for BOTH bands!
I tell allyuh, I love Carnival, I love the bacchanal!!!!!
p.s. The Band I was referring to in the first paragraph of my "gossip" post yesterday is NOT TRIBE... I think that is a BIG enough hint right there!



42 comments:
So they've confirmed it...
They DO read your blog!!! LOL
WOW, i love all the bacchanal, and this is a very very great idea and an awe-inspiring business move for TRIBE if they do follow through with it. I agree with you Saucy, TRIBE critics are gonna have a field-day with this one, but TRIBE will still be the pioneer!
Looking forward to hearing about the further developments with this one.
I love the drama.... c2k9 > i will be there TRIBE ;) OH and once I have my TLC card in hand thats all that matters...
Interesting. So is there goin to be TWO entirely different presentations under one band name TRIBE or The same presentation but different costumes.
I don't think this a good idea AT ALL! From what the email says, it does not sound like there will be two separate bands. It sounds like there will still be one TRIBE but with different package options JUST LIKE POISON eventually did and became outta control and too big to manage. As many may remember, what eventually happened with POISON is there were all inclusive sections like TRIBE, then there were friends who rented carts like TRIBE is now proposing. It made for too many trucks, carts, confusion on the road!
The WHOLE POINT about TRIBE was in all-inclusive carnival expereince. Taking carnival to the next level. If they really so this, it would signal to be that they are willing to sacrifice quality and their brand for potential profit. I will stick my neck out and say that if they do this I can foresee disaster. Whether the have two separate TRIBES or one TRIBE with two options, the experience will never be the same again. And I see things turning out the way POISON did. I think Dean and crew should send an email out to masqueraders asking for their input.
IN addition, I am sure many may not want to admit it but will agree that one of the "charms" of playing in TRIBE is the mere fact of playing in TRIBE. To know that you are in the #1 band. That your costume is coveted by many who did not get it. When people ask who you playing mas with, your eyes light up, you stand a bit taller, your voice rings with pride as you say, "Tribe, who else?" and smile. If things go this way, and now any and everybody can say TRIBE, it becomes like POISON. Just before POISON broke up, there was no pride in saying POISON becasue EVERYBODY was in that band. As a faithful TRIBE-ER, as someone who has been playing with them from WAY before TRIBE, since days of Shanghai and PLeasures, this alleged move is shocking and sad. I hope it isnt true, or that they change their minds.
Jaded Teardrops
Jaded,
from what I understand it will be TWO different bands, two different costumes, two different routes with one band offering an all inclusive and the other non all inclusive option.
I understand your point about the TRIBE brand, but I think the TRIBE 1 all-inclusive will still be the IT band, no matter what! You really think SOME people will want to play with "cheapo" TRIBE? lmao.
I just think there will be a price attached for that "charm" to saying that you are playing with the ONE,the only, original, TRIBE.
I'm not sure I understand the logic of this move at all. Is there really going to be a stampede of people signing up for a band that is essentially 'any other non-inclusive' just because it bears the TRIBE name?
I just can't quite grasp the concept of "TRIBE Lite", but I'd certainly like to hear the viewpoints of those who, in spite of their best efforts, are unable to get into TRIBE.
I'm very curious to see how all this plays out.
From proper comprehension of the article I don't get there would be two different bands, taking different routes, etc.
It simply says that TRIBE would be offering two different options; as mentioned above. The only difference should be the wristbands, the costumes and well the drinks and food service.
dapper, the email does not mention that BUT that was the information I got when the discussion came up on the chat box yesterday. Of course we have to wait for some sort of official word from TRIBE and at this time this is all speculation.
Squeezle, I don't think the difference will be this is just any other non all inclusive, it is TRIBE and with that comes the expectations of the same excellent customer service,same no hassle registration process, same standard of costumes etc. The only element missing will be the all-inclusive.
In my mind I am seeing TRIBE lite like Harts, you pay extra if you want the wee wee truck, you pay extra if you want a cart.. that kind of set up. That way you can go with a cheaper cosutme and pay for only the amenities that you actually use. Maybe some people who play in the all-inclusive will prefer this option, who knows, I have heard enough talk that costumes are too expensive and people don't need all the all-inclusive trucks etc.
So maybe this would satisfy those who want a nice costume in a well organized band that won't dig out their eye with price and have no problems getting their own food and drinks.. just like HARTS :)
Lemme play devil's advocate here:
Soooo, if some people wanted to be in a band like Harts, why didn't they just go to Harts instead of paying for stuff they don't want or need in TRIBE and then complaining about the expense.
It must be that the TRIBE brand itself means so much to people. The question is, will the brand be as appealing without the fancy amenities?
Harts is the white people band dat is why :P
Yeah, if this comes to pass? I am with all-inclusive Tribe, all the way! LOL
You mean Harts is the "exceptionally good looking people" band.
Dat's why we don't spend a lot of cash on the costume, our physical beauty is a currency more valuable than diamonds!
LOL I crack myself up!!!
Good looking and sexy too!!!
Very Intresting. Tribe better really think loonngg and Hard about that move. it is receipe for diasater eventually. Even if it goes smoothly 2k9 as time passes it will get out of hand like Poison: Incl, non-incl, cart, no cart, different costumes and even if they have 2 bands it will be confusion b/c i'm sure the band will be one behind each other at some point in time. At the end of the day its just about the Benjamins for these bandleaders.
interesting comments...
this is a terrible idea and if it happens i am goign to think seriously about switching bands, i swear! wha de hell...what is the big idea behind this? and why? i want answers!!! iu take my mas experience seriously! LOL...
nice pic squeezle...yes i'm mashin up the topic but so :P
Oh good LORD. I wish Tribe all the best, because Lord knows that is where my heart is...but I getting one SEEEERRIIIOOUUSSS bad vibe about this business decision...
And so..the plot thickens...
Back in the day, there was POISON 1 and POISON 2. Poison 1 crossed the stage, Poison 2 did not. So they took different routes and met up at the end of the day for a final jump. This was to reduce the congestion that happened before crossing stage and to appease masqueraders who were fed up of the long waiting times. What eventually happened though, is that the bands were sometimes unable to meet and the idea had to be eventually scrapped.
The whole idea of two bands. no matter how good the intentions are, is just plain madness. Whether they will be two separate bands or one band with two options, it is a recipe for disaster.
I am an AVID TRIBE-ER as I said before. I used to think that TRIBE could do no wrong. But this year, with the hideous Silver Mist costume I collected, and hearing about frontline pieces that never got delivered, it is obvious that TRIBE needs to refocus on quality and not make the move of trying to further expand operations.
If people who wanted to play were left out, that's too bad, but its part of mas. Register early. if you dont get in, go to another band. Didn't TRIBE have between 4000-5000 masqueraders this year? Weren't some costumes falling apart on the road? There was a whole section of people unhappy about their costume (SM), and a whole section which was designed by one of the big three, whose front-line was never delivered.
I don't think I want to say any more on this until I hear something official, but I am going to write directly to TRIBE to voice how I feel about this potential move.
Jaded Teardrops
Oh yeah I remember Poison and Poison No Savannah... madness
Does anyone have accurate figures regarding the size of TRIBE this year? Just from the photographs alone, it seems like it was MUCH bigger than 5000.
chris, you articulated everything i feel about this "situation" but also, like you said, we have to wait and see if all of this is even true and see how things develop. besides that the size of the band this year was TOO big!!! and given all the issues they had, it's evident they can't handle it. Tribe, get it together!!!
IF that was IP,ppl would have IP to hang...It's so sad that TRIBE can do anything and it's OK!
I remember those Poison days when the band seemed it went on forever. Tribe really needs to think this, as part of the "Ultimate Carnival Experience" was the amenities and service. A no frills band does not encompass the Ultimate Experience. And as was said before to have two is a receipe for enevitable diaster. They need to concentrate more on tweaking their service as this year they had some issues.
If TRIBE does in fact create two sections I will be playing in the ALL INCLUSIVE section. I'm paying for the COMPLETE PACKAGE. The costume is expensive if you are not preparing and budgeting. My costume cost $560(US), registration began in August '07 at that time a deposit is made of $150 which equals around $19 a month. The balance due 4 months later ($82 a month for 5 months). PLAN, PLAN and PLAN. We have a 8 months to save up for a deposit and another 4 months for the balance. It's not just the costume that is included in the price, but for 2 days of much needed security, drinks, food, mobile restrooms etc...Plan early and we wont have this problem of two bands cuz some don't want to pay for all inclusive, that is nonsense. The lady who I collected my costume from at Cascadia said the band had almost reached 5,000, which meant 4,999 people. If the issue is the size, then limit the number of masquerader, but then that will affect the bottom line for TRIBE. Thing 1 and Thing two takes away from the pride of saying I'm playing with TRIBE, you know what question will follow next which band...too much pressure.
Instead of having Tribe #1 & Tribe #2 why not a separate band altogether. Renting carts for drinks, food etc will make the road even more congested. And who is going to manage these carts??? The Masquerader??? I must say TRIBE needs to pay more attention to QUALITY, I too was disappointed with my costume. I was in the less than popular section MYSTICAL INDIA, me costume began to fall apart before the sun even began to set. That is my only complaint with TRIBE, other than that the level of service was unmatched. I guess we will all patiently wait to see how this unfolds.
Tribe's costumes may not all that hot, but its their road service that is stella; one of the reasons why I return year after year. Now when you renove the all inclusive package and you decontent the costume, what are you now left with? The costumes for the guys this year were bad, surfice to say it was really the wrist band you were paying for. How much more simplified would they need to go. And I agree on the comment on the carts, it done doh have enough room with all the trucks, now dey will clutter it up with carts? Trinidad Carnival Enthusiast, sorry to hear that your costume was falling apart, that is very unlike them, and moreso when we know de costume was not cheap. I think before they try to "capitalise" on Carnival, fix some of the problems and further improve "The Ultimate Carnival Experience".
Dam, I'm really dissapointed to read this. I agree with alot of what everyone is saying here, the whole point of being with TRIBE is because of the all inclusiveness. The fact that I have the availability to spend a certain amount of money to pay for a certain amount of services. I hate the cart idea definitely, it just adds more traffic on the road, and less room for the masqueraders. In addition, does this mean I'm going to have to deal with lots of little teenagers and a different crowd with this new price option?
All of these reasons and concerns are exactly why I play with TRIBE. It just seems so tacky to me, (even though I do in many ways understand their want to offer others a TRIBE (as you say 'lite') experience.
Will the option of TRIBE LITE and TRIBE PREMIUM still have the normal qty of masqueraders, or does this mean more masqueraders will be able to join TRIBE. That means an even great influx of people, which is exhausting.
And in addition, if you want carnival without the price there are sooooooooooooooo many other bands to play with now, which is the enjoyable part.
I realllllyyy hope this was just part of a brainstorming session or something. Father lord it scares me!! :P
Its just ‘playing mas’ people! TRIBE has somehow managed to turn ‘playing mas’ into rocket science (eg bout 10 checkpoints just tuh collect a costume!). But don’t be fooled, this new addition to the equation is about “greed”, it eh have nuttin tuh do wit caring for their masquerader so much dat dey want tuh try tuh accommodate EVERYBODY, its about making more money!
Besides, everybody and dey dog know dat TRIBE is a band tuh FLAM, none of their masquerading pipsters gonna want tuh play in any section where dey gonna be perceived as de poorer TRIBE wannabees.
i thought dey wud have close to 10,000 since ppl said it was so big. y split up? can't u have 1 band w/ different paying options???
I'm not a TRIBER like most on this blog, but to comment on the change for 2k9 I think it's a smells DISASTER like most others already post. Just some food for taught, I know someone who use to deal with TRIBE and then decide to part ways for business reason, One of Tribes female costumes excluding the Head Piece cost less that 40USD to be produced. SO quality costume ARE YOU REALLY GETTING IT???
No Wonder they were falling off on the Road.
Happy Tribing to you Tribers for 2k9
hmm didn't that person leave TRIBE a few years ago "naughty" surely the costumes must have gone up by then, who knows it probably costs $55.00US now!!
Anyway,it would be insulting to everyone's intelligence to think that $500.00US goes to COSTUME ALONE!!! ANY band,and I am of talking ALL Carnival bands charge you a price that includes the cost of everything else AND the costume...and when I say everything I am talking from rent of the mascamp right down to hiring people to clean up after the lunch stop. We, the masquerader, pay the price for THAT.. all dem lil niceites.
And what is ironic is that now, when it looks like people will be getting a chance at cheaper costumes WITHOUT paying for extras like cool zone,wee wee truck, food, drinks, resting bus etc people still complaing!!!!
Ohh, Goody!! One more band on the road to cause more fricking traffic. We'll be lucky if we get to even one judging point.
I agree with most everything that is said here, especially by Chris. Padnuh you read my mind. And trinidad carnival enthusiast... I hear you on the saving part. People seem to forget that they need to save to play mas, no matter what their income is.
I haven't been playing mas for very long, as old as I am, but I really like the TRIBE experience as it is.
HOWEVER, since this isn't an official statement that was made I think everyone needs to kinda keep the heat to a minimum. Don't get all up in a bunch over a possibility...We eh know nothing for sure yet.
Sauce, I don't think people are complaining that the prices will be lower! People are complaining that the brand which they pay so much for is about to be compromised. THAT is the issue. Hell, I forked out close to $900 USD for my costume, boots and accessories. The frontline costume was $666. (By the way, that devil number right there should have been an obvious omen about what would happen with Silver Mist. But anyway, I digress).
You are right Sauce when you say that noone expects that the costume costs $500 US. I dont think it even costs half of that, but neither do I think it costs $45 as "naughty" has indicated. I think we had a discussion sometime last year on this blog about our willingness to pay TRIBE prices because of the QUALITY of the product. As you said, the cool zone, the wee wee trucks, food, drinks, the computerized systems!
But this year, when the quality failed to meet TRIBE standards, it was an indication that they need to re-examine a few things. RE-EXAMINE, not EXPAND!
Another thing that bothers me that I did not mention before, is that such a move rings of greed. Carnival is a business, yes I agree, but with 5000+ masqueraders, they are smiling all the way to the bank. They should leave a space open for upcoming bands. Why in the world do they want to have a Monopoly on carnival.
As someone rightly pointed out, what would be the reaction in IP tried this move? People would be up in arms and cussing them left right and center. Let's take a step back and look at this objectively. Two TRIBES, bad. One TRIBE, good! Two IP's bad, one IP, good! Two Mac Farlanes, bad, one Mac Farlane, good! and so on....
Jaded Teardrops
Chris I see your point, in fact I see everyone's point. Let me throw a next scenario in to the mix; TRIBE operates under the umbrella of Ultimate Events of which they have a mas band, a jouvert band, fetes and also event management services.
Suppose the idea behind this move,albeit movitvated by finacial gain, is to offer as always ONE TRIBE, the original, all-inclusive ultimate experience. However the other mas band will fall under the Ultimate Events banner and lets just say it will be called Red Ants Mas Band. Different mas camp, different costumes, different registration dates, different route... how will you all feel about that???
p.s. Goddess every year seems like a new band is born!!! How many we had this year, not about three newbies??
Hmmmm, interesting point there with the possible Red Ants mas band saucy ... but everybody knows that it is STILL TRIBE people... seems to me like we still might be back at square one. LOL
My biggest concern is the traffic. I don't want to be stink, but I don't think we need more damn bands on the road. Especially if it's one established band now trying to split into two - leave that for some fresh, young, up and coming band. I could handle it better then. I spend enough time in traffic during the week on a normal basis, to have to be spending time in inreasonable traffic too come carnival monday and tuesday. That defeats the purpose of me playing mas. Sheesh!!
Not sure image conscious Trinis will be comfortable playing in what will be thought of as the "ghetto section" of an exclusive band.
Now non Trinis on the other hand may not care! Hmmm, maybe that's who Tribe is targeting...
WELL THE CATS OUT !LOL
SO AS EVERYTHING NEW THERE WILL ALWAYS BE THE SCEPTICS...THAT IS UNTIL THE NEW BECOMES THE TRENDY...THEN EVERYONE WANTS IN! ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS, IF TRIBE CAN BE SUCCESSFUL WITH THEIR ALL-INCLUSIVE BAND, AND THEY HAVE A WEALTH OF TALENT AND ORGANIZED PERSONS AT THEIR DISPOSAL, .......
WAY TO GO!
LET the people go to TRIBE "LITE" So I could get the section of choice in TRIBE "THE ORIGINAL ONE". Less people better fete for the rest of us.
I can't understand why is it that people are constantly comparing TRIBE to other bands!Before Tribe you got half doe costumes and horrible service and many of the others have been trying to COPY what Tribe does now i am not being partial to anyone but!, come on ...The Size of the band? The Cost? anybody put a gun to anyones head and said PLAY MAS WITH TRIBE!No it is a choice so if it doesn't fit your style or lack thereof go somewhere else thats all.
And for those who counts the bands money for them, many band leaders don't take home all the money and soooo what if they make they have to like tooo, in case you haven't realized the cost of living is on the rise and why not count all the business men that we support on a daily basis , money?
think about it before the pointless blabber!
Post a Comment