CONTACT US: trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com
Switch to mobile site HERE

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

My religion, My mas

As a catholic who participates in Carnival I once had a discussion with my priest on what the Church thinks about its parishioners enjoying the festivities at Carnival time. He said to me that he personally sees no reason why a Catholic cannot enjoy Carnival once they are conscious of their own behavior, does not succumb to the wanton vulgarity that is often splashed across the media and does not abuse alcohol to the point where you loose all self control.

What I got from him is that as an individual the onus is on me to enjoy Carnival within reason, always keeping at the back of my mind that I should not be doing anything Our Father would frown upon, or to make it more relative, I should say anything my MOTHER would frown upon because the Lord knows my mother is not as forgiving as him if she sees me misbehaving for Carnival. Other Catholic priest do not stand by this conviction of course, but I am going with what my priest said to me and therefore enjoy Carnival as a Catholic believing that I am not doing anything wrong, afterall there is much more to Carnival than just mas and there are many facets of the festival that is good, creative, constructive and can be enjoyed by Christians and none Christians alike.

History says that the origin of the word Carnival comes from a combination of Latin words meaning Carnevale or “to put away meat” which in modern translation also means a “farewell to flesh” since Catholics are not supposed to eat meat during lent. And while other Carnivals do not always occur before lent, Trinidad Carnival does and the history is deeply rooted and tied in with Lenten celebrations. While Carnival is a season of excess, lent is a time of fasting.

The idea of religion and Carnival has always been at odds, and I know other Christians look at me as some sort of “hypocrite” since I do enjoy Carnival but fast for lent which immediately follows. I am not one to participate in the ritual of getting ashes on Ash Wednesday simply for the fact that I don’t want to seem like I am doing it for show, but I have kept away from Ash Wednesday “cool downs” because for me it signifies the start of lent and not just another day of prolonging the Carnival festivities. To those religious persons that frown upon Carnival I believe they see it as being of the world and embracing all the “sins” which does not bring you closer to God.

The number of people who do not participate in Carnival for religious reasons is high, I do not have statistical data to back it up, but I know many Christians who go on retreat or go camping in Mayaro to get as far away as possible from Carnival and it’s “sinful behavior”. While I am educated to know that sin can take all form and fashion and does not only occur during Carnival I am not going to debate with anyone on that fact, however it is interesting to me how some Christians are always ready to judge others, which to me is not Christianly behavior in the first place!

What sparked this topic today is the fact that a young soca entertainer by the name Jadee, who is now singing gospel and won a COTT award for his song “Baptize”, intends to sing his brand of soca/gospel for Carnival spreading his message for the Carnival season. I have already started hearing critics saying that gospel has no place in Carnival, however these are the same people who criticize soca music as being too “vulgar”. One would think they would welcome more postivie, uplifting soca music.

While I do not consider myself to be a devoutly religious person, I do believe in God since religion is not going to take me to heaven, only my morality and repentance can do so. Thus, I am comfortable playing mas knowing that the man cannot "judge" me and my actions. Thus, when I listen to the opinions on some religious persons on Carnival, I have to wonder if they are being fair when passing criticism on the entire festival based on some of the immorality that occurs during the season. I know I am biased because I do participate in Carnival, but to be fair it does extend beyond the bikini mas and really reflects the creativity of our people, and I cannot see how that is evil.

Take for instance the pan, is that immoral? We should be proud that it is the only instrument to be invented in the 20th century, an instrument that is now used beyond Carnival, performing other genres of music such as jazz and classical all over the world. When I look at kiddies Carnival and see the younger ones beautifully costumed and enjoying participating in the celebrations I see nothing wrong with that either, nor do I think that our music is bad. There are so many calypsos that reflect the state of the country with political and social satire, as well as soca music that is not all about “wine and jam”; we really do have artistes that write lyrics that have meaning!

So while the critics have a point speaking out against the immorality that comes with Carnival, it is not something that comes from Carnival itself but the behavior of those individuals who revel in that side of their personality, using Carnival as an excuse to “break away” and commit a variety of sins for the season . The question needs to be asked though, if we associate with people who behave like this, are we then guilty by association? For the answer I look to religious leaders who have fallen, like Jimmy Swaggart, when he committed his “sin” was the entire church to be faulted for his transgression or just the one man?

I truly believe what my priest said, each of us are responsible for our actions come Carnival time, and as someone who believes in God but also loves their culture, there can be a medium where the both can exist. Afterall, a Catholic priest did play mas once, and as the 1967 calypso by Cypher goes “If the priest could play, who is me!”

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saucy,
I couldn't agree with you more. I am also a Catholic who enjoys her Mas. I went to a Catholic Secondary School and the late Archbishop Pantin used to offiacte at masses regualary for our school. I remember this question coming up almost every year. More often than not the respsonse from the priests and the Archbishop ( and some of the nuns that ran the school) was that Carnival can be enjoyed by Catholics and non-Catholics alike. The responsibility is on the masquerader to enjoy themselves responsibily and that Carnival is not an excuse to forget your religion. there are after all the other days left in the year...and you don't want to be plagued for the remainder of the year by guilt over something that you did during Carnival.

And if you really pay attention Carnival is really popular in mostly Catholic countries.

Anonymous said...

SAUCY Mas is a Religion why you think Carnival spreading all over the world?
Thousands of people head to Trinidad for Carnival every year like is a pilgrimage and, when yuh on the road on monday and tuesday, the amount of people put they hands palms up to the sky as if the sprit of the almighty him/her self touching them it must be a religious experience.

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

Shelly-anne somehow it seems that only Catholics think this way. Not speaking for other religions, but there is a guy in my office who belongs to another religion who says if you are Christian you should not participate in Carnival.

ttfootball said...

Well I am certainly NOT one to comment on religion, but I must agree with you in saying it all depends on how YOU conduct YOURself, I don't believe Carnival is inherently sinful as some people would like to think. Its funny how you also wrote about Minshall today, case in point: it must take a real cynic to accuse him, a man focused on his artform, or his fans/followers of engaging in any excesses. Remember "High Mas"? Lawd that was one for the books! But the song was simply giving thhanks for such a great festival as far as I see it anyways. I had such a good time chippin to dat from the savanah all the way to the mas camp and everybody was jes mellow. It really is what you make it and its unfortunate (like so many other things) to have the few that cause a bad image for the whole.

On a side note, I have been getting quite a few visitors via this blog, thanks for including my link on your page :-)

Anonymous said...

Morning All:

Saucy I'm not Catholic, my mother's side of the family is, my father's side Anglican, so I went to Anglican primary and secondary schools. My mother let go Catholicism years ago, so did my granny and I let go of Anglicanism when I was about 12 much to the disdain of my father. I consider myself a non-denominational Christian. I lived in Trini until I was 17 and avoided Carnival thinking that it was evil. When I moved to the US I started attending American Baptist Churches (I can dig the them) and really began to study my bible and really grow, I think, as a Christian and form my own opinions. I said all of that to say, my opinion is this: God does not categorize sin, though we would like to believe He does as it makes us feel better about that little white lie, or that one time we got extra change at the store and didn't return it. Sin is sin, the little white lie and the sexual escapade on that business trip are one and the same, both separate us from God. Thank God for Jesus then.....right??! Our salvation as human beings is personal, because we all have our vices, for you it may be alcohol for another gluttony, for another out of place sex. And I believe we ought to know that if God has helped you work through a particular vice, you should avoid it in the future, else you find yourself falling into the same trap. Another point to note is that the bible states that all things are permissable but not all things are beneficial. That being said, you can do it, but you also have to be aware of its effect on your relationship with God. And we know, we know, we know when we've crossed that line. That still small voice inside of you lets you know.
For me, I'm not that girl, leg up, crotch outside, drunk like a sailor falling over myself, disrespecting myself, my family and my faith, for carnival. But I have a bloody good time just the same.
And as my mother said, anything you overdo, is a sin. Anything that you put before God in your life, you've made that thing a false idol. I'm not perfect, but I try to keep God number 1 in my life.
So I respect those people who've taken the decision not to particiapte in Carnival, but to cry down those who made the personal choice to participate, well, its not very Christian to me.

I'll end with this: My favourite writer, Paulo Coelho said in his book "the devil and miss prym" life is about choice and control.

Anonymous said...

The late and great Ms. Cherly Byron (Mother of Rapso) and my mentor and dance teacher, alway's preached.
You can play mas,nothing is wrong with playing mas! It's how yuh does play yuh mas! Wining, dancing is a sacred thing!

So I live by this, I am a Christian, and I love to play mas! It's me, it's my culture and I Love It!

Anonymous said...

I told a Christian friend once that when I'm in my sexy costume there comes a point where I step to the side of the road, watch the entire band pass by and give thanks for the euphoria. Chippin down the street I sing David Rudder's "give praise".
He thinks we're all going to hell and guilty by association. I believe it's up to your own interpretation and faith because in the end you're judged as an individual.
Oh and a couple of my friends don't celebrate halloween because they think it's the devil's day but they play j'ouvert as blue devils...same difference?

Anonymous said...

Saucy this was a great article!! I have been at the forefront of this sort of discussion already since my husband grew up in a Jehovah Witness family and his family has often put in their two cents about me playing mas and him participating in carnival activities like going to fetes and stuff. I addressed their views once, put them in their place and never heard about it again.

Anonymous said...

From the other side of the tracks, I grew up half hindu, half muslim. My hindu side of the family turn up their noses at me playing mas. This is not based on anything religious, but strictly on what they "percieve" as being vulgar. (I wonder if they think my drunk uncles cussing and falling over themselves is a lesser vulgarity?)

My muslim side never gave me any trouble, but about 2 years ago, I did get attacked on another trini forum by a muslim who saw my last name (which is clearly islamic) next to a pic of the costume I was wearing that year. He came out and blasted me publicly saying I was going to hell, blah blah blah. I responded to him if he wanted to yell at a muslim for comiitting sin, to call the Taliban. That shut him up. LOL.

Although I believe in God, in terms of carnival, I am more afraid of what my parents would say,therefore, I conduct myself in a manner that would not bring shame on my parents, my husband, my children, or my professional life.

BTW, I love this blog. Even in matters of religion, our trini diversity shows through. It is great being Trini :) TOG

Anonymous said...

Touchy subject. I don't think you'll find the christian carnival critics visting your blog. Most of my friends back in Trini are born again Christians. And they always use the point of revellry.
Catholics & Anglicans are very hand in hand, I gather their consensus will be the same on carnival.
What you need is some Jehovah Witnesses & Pentecostals to get their response. I see them as on a different level of religion to Catholics & Anglicans.

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

I would love someone other than us Carnival addicts to comment as well, it would be interesting to get their point of view as we are all biased because we do love Carnival. The guy at my office is very pleasant and is not one of those who judges others, but he won't come here and leave a comment either :S

Anonymous said...

icahwait* I think you'd get an almost similar response from the Pentecostals as with the Born Again Christians. But honestly it depends, not by religion per say, but more by how conservative and devout (or Pharisee-ish) they are.

We all have a choice and the ability to control ourselves, the capacity to exercise both....well therein begins the problem.

Anonymous said...

saucy, could not agree more.Well said.

waspwidfirecracker said...

good afternoon bloggers

well i am catholic but on my dad's side of the family my dad's mother is pentecostal and so is my dad's brother and his family.

when i first started playing carnival, my grandmother was not too happy, but i did not care. i knew i was not committing a sin. i loved carnival ever since i was a little girl my parents always took me to the tents and some fetes with them and i always paraded the streets with my family for carnival.

but strange enough my uncle's wife was a catholic but is a born again pentecostal i guess, she sends her daughter who is i guess 13 or 14 to camp, and my other 2 cousins who are boys usually go down the isalnds with their family.

i have never had anyone of my family members turn up their noses at me since the rest of my dad's family are catholic. i do know that the ones that are pentecostal frown on carnival activities and the parade on the street and have zero involvement in carnival. i am curious to know if my younger cousin as she gets older will want to participate in carnival or not. only time will tell.

Anonymous said...

Great topic sauce! I'm Catholic as is most of my family and they don't see a problem with us playing mas. Actually, they encourage it. They see that carnival is what it is, not some kind of satanic way to drag down the human race but as an expression of our culture. They make it thier business to cook up some pelau and lime in de savannah whole day. What turns them is the same thing that turns me off...the vulgarity. I like to wine and drink but to skin up your leg and have simulated sex on the ground is a big no-no.

My aunt's thing is this, go enjoy yourself at a fete, lime, carnival...but don't forget you have your duties as a Catholic to go to church.

Anonymous said...

Girl, you really cover EVERYTHING to do with Carnival!! I currently reside in Florida, and this will be my first Carnival since leaving Trini in 1999. I am a proud Christian (or Bible-thumbing Jesus Freak as they call us here), but not a JUDGEMENTAL Christian. That part I leave to God. So I will proudly participate in our beautiful, creative, and colorful culture as a Trini AND a Christian. Also, I believe that any priest (or religious leader) who TRULY loves the Lord would have the same response as your did :). Bless up, Saucy!!
Plus, ah done buy de tickets and de costume! So the countdown is on!!! I am too excited!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, the conflict of religion (particularly Christianity in all it stripes) and Carnival. For sure it does exist, and I do believe it is a healthy one. There is no doubt in my mind that Trinidad and Tobago’s Carnival will never be fully partaken by all of it’s population, because of the perceived vulgarity, debauchery, and “immorality” (violence used to be one of the main reason to stay clear of “them mad people”, and I am so glad it is quite non-existent now, and so, so, sooooo grateful for this evolution.) However, for the vast majority (as Sandy’s parents proves this point), it is an expression of a rich culture that is uniquely Trinidad’s (and Tobago). Yes, some of the religious context is still there with the Catholics pre-lent earthy “exorcism” before the fast and contemplation, and should remain as a vibrant restraining force for many participants, if not all. On the other hand, Carnival has been evolving into a strong universal expression of a national joi d’vivre, across all ethnicities, and yes we don’t care about one’s sexual orientation, and religions (for such a small nation, T&T probably has every single religion practiced by humankind; that alone is amazing to me). For me, Carnival is a time of rejuvenation, a time to give thanks and appreciation to our people, that we could be so vibrant in all of its double entendre bacchanalia. I believe it is a time to display the highest aspirations as a people: full unity in our wonderful diversity (ok, the political-will must continue to work on economic fairness). How many serious masqueraders could attest to the feeling of a communion with a higher consciousness (I suspect aided with some libations, but definitely not always) playing in their band of choice, big or small. I believe that joy one feels is God smiling with us, and we definitely ain’t “dealing.” Seriously, the out of control slackness, and hooliganism (both seen with mostly young people) is really a lack of broughupsy not Carnival per se. Play yuh mas, it is life and love in beautiful Trinidad (and Tobago).

Saucy, I agree, there should be someone who could reasonably write their opposition on your blog (if only just for further context).

Anonymous said...

I like anon 3.19 you hit the nail on the head right here with this one

"...but not a JUDGEMENTAL Christian. That part I leave to God..."

not to stray to much but I can't help but comment; I was born & raise Catholic and after going tp BAHS my best and closest friends are born again which played a big part in me straying away from catholicism, my awakening to religion and my relationship with God. But at the same time I couldn't go quite 'their' way because of intolerance/judgement.

Anonymous said...

Morning saucy, Great article...as my mom always told us u can be a god fearing person, a christian and still enjoy yourself. You can go to a party, fete or even carnival and enjoy yourself. It is how we conduct ourselves that god frowns upon. You can have a great time at carnival and not be vulgar in anyway. mind you my mom is a christian, and goes to her back in times party and have a ball. As growing up she always told us that in jesus time they were parties and celebrations and they drank wine, but they were not vulgar. I am a mas jumbie so too is my dad (and he is in his 60's still playing mas!). Yes I also knw people who go camping etc for carnival to get away from the "sin' associated with it, but u hear about all sorts of things while they on camp (sex etc)so who judging who?
I agree with warrior like me...a sin is ah sin

Anonymous said...

Kinda late on this but I would like to mention that *my* priest (when i go to church which is never) actually goes to fetes every year. We see him in all inclusives fulling his belly and dancing. Not wining, dancing. He enjoys the culture and the festivity and like the rest of us with anything else knows where to draw the line.

Anonymous said...

So I am very Catholic a well. My sis went to Catholic primary,secondary and university! If my mother was any more Catholic her name would be Mary. Nevertheless my parents are the biggest carnival jumbies I know and its them self who encouraged me to start playing mas (even when i was dead set against it). Nowadays my mom does not play anymore but is more cause she play every year till she was like 55/56 (in Poison!!)and she 'had her time' not because of her religious beliefs.That not stopping my daddy who probably play never miss a carnival yet and is still having a time at 67.(In Poison!)

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

I am detecting a trend here, lots of us Catholics happily enjoy our mas!

Anonymous said...

"mind you my mom is a christian, and goes to her back in times party and have a ball. As growing up she always told us that in jesus time they were parties and celebrations and they drank wine, but they were not vulgar."

God bless yuh mom eh....Jesus turn de watah into wine and he save de best fuh last gyel! Tell yuh mummy Dolli admire she & seh WINE gyel WINE! IF she does wine....

"*my* priest actually goes to fetes every year. We see him in all inclusives fulling his belly and dancing."
Preach it fadder....Preach it!

Yes, yuh could be Kyartholic and have ah good, blessed time. Is no sin in dat!

Anonymous said...

Saucy,

I posted a link to your article in an email that i sent to some friends. The responses that i got surprised me. The passionate distate for religion and mas almsot leapt off the page...i'll send them to you so that u can read them for yourself.

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

thanks Shelly-Anne, I would like to read the responses so looking out for the email.

Copyright Notice:
All photos and original articles by the author of this site are copyright of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com therefore all rights are reserved. Original content found within this Web site are protected by international copyright laws. No content of any type from this site may be sold, republished, modified, uploaded, reformatted or copied without the express consent of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com Should you require to use any of the material originally published on www. trinidadcarnivaldiary.com for personal or public use please e-mail trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com

Disclaimer

It is important to impress that the views reflected by this blog are mine alone and not necessarily views held by Triniscene. You cannot contact Triniscene and ask for their assistance in swaying or monitoring anything that is written on this blog.

All Content is for informational purposes only. I make reasonable efforts to ensure the completeness and accuracy of all content of the blog. However, I do not guarantee the completeness or accuracy of any information on this blog. There are various risks you assume in relying on the Content. We make reasonable efforts to provide accurate Content on the blog, but at times I may not promptly update or correct the blog even if I am aware that it is inaccurate, outdated or otherwise inappropriate.

While at times, I highlight certain services, websites, merchandise and such, I do not endorse any product. Nor do I use this blog to sell any merchandise. Also, I DO NOT endorse or encourage any products, costumes or services advertised on the conversation box (e.g. cbox). Neither do I endorse the opinions of, or warrant the accuracy of facts or other Content contributed by, any third party. I am not liable for any action you take or decision you make in reliance on any Content.

As a result, I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE QUALITY, SAFETY OR LEGALITY OF THE ITEMS ADVERTISED, THE TRUTH OR ACCURACY OF THE LISTINGS, THE ABILITY OF SELLERS TO SELL ITEMS OR THE ABILITY OF BUYERS TO BUY ITEMS. I cannot ensure that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction. You should look to the seller for any refunds, credits or adjustments to a transaction. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY, AND OFFER NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, REGARDING YOUR TRANSACTION WITH ANY INDIVIDUAL SELLER(S) OR ANY PARTS YOU PURCHASE FROM A SELLER, OR ANY INFORMATION, INCLUDING CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, YOU GIVE TO A SELLER.

Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com does not assume copyright for images used that are not owned by Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com, such images are used only to illustrate a point or when they are relevant to an article written by the author of Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com .If you are the owner of the image and would like it removed please contact trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com
Powered By Blogger