CONTACT US: trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com
Switch to mobile site HERE

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My take on TRIBE's prices

All back line costume prices, save Isis which is still without a cost, were posted to TRIBE’s website yesterday, after a long wait and much anticipation from potential masqueraders. For comparison’s sake this is how 2008 prices stack up against what we paid for 2007:

2007:
Most expensive female costume of 2007 Jean and Dinah - $3295.00

Cheapest female costume of 2007 – Pierrot Grenade – $2595.00

Most expensive male costume of 2007 Warrior Spirit - $3295.00

Cheapest male costume of 2007 – Yankee Sailor – $2050.00

2008:
Most expensive female costume of 2008 Black Magic - $3299.00

Cheapest female costume of 2008 Butterfly Bliss/ Autumn Sprite – $2899.00

Most expensive male costume of 2008 (several sections) - $2399.00

Cheapest male costume of 2008 – (several sections) – $2350.00

The increase in prices of the cheapest costume is approximately $300.00TT or $40.00US, granted that the average price of a female costume last year was $2753.00 and this year it is $2983.40 (you guys know how to work out an average right) overall costume prices have increased by $230.40. While some may say any increase in price is unjustified, clearly the costumes for 2008 have much more feathers than 2007’s offerings and dare I say are even more elaborate.

To me the costumes have been increasing steadily by on average $200.00 each year so these prices were not a shock, in fact I had been hearing ludicrous rumors before that prices from TRIBE will start at $4000.00TT!! I get much more of a shock when I go to the supermarket every two weeks and see that prices there are steadily increasing, as I told someone I do not HAVE to play mas, or even play mas with TRIBE, but I do have to eat!! Inflation is driving up prices all around in Trinidad and Tobago and I would have to be very naive not to expect that costume prices would have been affected. Consequently I am quite prepared to pay for my costume as I have already budgeted for that expense.

The real fun begins when frontline costume prices are posted later today, from my guesstimate I can see nothing under $4000.00TT/$600.00US and I think Silver Mist and Mystique will be that price. Silver Mist has the cheapest back pack, which is all foam, and Mystique is just a souped up version of the backline with a few more feathers and a fin, so I cannot see it crossing the line over $4000.00/$6000.00TT. All those wanting to experience F.H.O.ism for 2008 please no cries of exclamation when you see the prices for frontline costumes!

Finally the 45 comments racked up in a few hours over the costume prices shows how hotly debated this topic is; the general consensus seems to be “yuh cyar play mas and fraid powder”!! If you cannot afford these higher prices, there are other bands apart from TRIBE and its counterpart Island People, both well known to have higher prices. These are only two bands people. For 2008 you can take your pick from Harts, Ronnie and Caro, D Krewe, Pulse 8, Dream Team, Trini Revellers, Legacy, Genesis, Trevor Wallace, Image Nation, Mc Farlane, Taboo and even a new band called Oracle. That’s 13 bands that I am positive will offer alternative costumes and prices, so no one is forcing anyone to play with TRIBE and pay the higher prices, which is an understanding I thought would be so obvious but for some people it’s not!

29 comments:

shells said...

tnx for the price brakdown comparison. I had to get on my soap=box abd do some ranting last night, when one of my friends made comments abput prices WITHOUT knowing actual comments.

It actually works out better for the guys as their prices have not really increased (NB:- IP's male costumes cost around $2400 for 2007)

The costumes i like are all about the same price of $3200, so now it's to decide on which one :)

tnx again Saucy

Anonymous said...

extremely well said!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree Sauce!

JayJayGhatt said...

here. here! well put!


sauce, will u be taking pics at IP launch Saturday?

Anonymous said...

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Anonymous said...

Saucy preach it sister! I fed up of all these ppl hating on TRIBE- but I guess it comes with the territory. If they would fuss so about food prices is a nex ting for real, but no, is TRIBE they go criticise. I honestly find the prices are not that bad, compared to last year and keeping in mind that inflation is an inescapable reality in Trinidad. We should be celebrating the fact that the prices aren't a lot higher, because I was bracing myself eh.. And people tend to forget that you really pay for an experience with TRIBE, not just your costume. The service at all stages is EXCELLENT so I will gladly pay my money and wine down low with them.. Unless the nice sections sell out.. Then I in trouble..

Anonymous said...

You said it just right Saucy, good job!!

Anonymous said...

Saucy,
Take it from a male who enjoys the drinks more and costume is no big thing. Last year when the all-inclusive bands put out their prices, it was before the budget. Thereafter Pastor Manning increased taxes and alcohol went up by an average of 30%. The bands took that hit. That is a big factor for this year's prices. I was expecting a higher increase, especially for the male where the bands make more money on a male costume but get licks on drinks. These male prices are real good.

Anonymous said...

*clap clap clap*

Well said.

Anonymous said...

Dear Saucy

This time you are dead wrong. For instance, Warrior Spirit Male costume was $2150 last year. Other sections, such as Jab Jab were in the middle price range(nowhere near $500 for females).

Although the information you provide on this site is well organized, lately your bias towards protecting Tribe has compromised your objectivity and credibility.

Whether future masqueraders select Tribe for 2008 is purely up to individual choice. But let us not hide the fact that the price have escalated inappropriately. This cannot be justified by food, "Versace fabric" or alcohol!

Check your math!

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

The most expensive Warrior spirit costume was 2995.00 .. I should know my hubby played in it.

The cheapest male costume last year was 2050.00, Peters section.. but if the most expensive was 2995.00 what is the average? let me tell you since YOU seem to forget simple maths.. it is S2522.50. I took all the prices to get my average so unless you are doing some advanced algebra I don't know how you could dare to challenge the law of averages. LMAO

I don't need to protect TRIBE just because other people feel the need to cut them down,I think they are doing a good enough job on IMIX ent? But despite all the braying they will still sell out...and that is what kills people !! LOL

Anonymous said...

Anyone know how much Goddess of the Chase individual is?

Anonymous said...

Well the 2007 Trinidad consumer inflation rate is running at about 8%. (you gotta love google)
So I guess a 8% increase in costume prices isn't unjustified.

Anonymous said...

Good day to all:

I must say, I have never encountered a bunch of ignorant people like the legions of people on this site who seem unable to comprehend how their loyalty, or more precisely, stupidity, to Tribe and/or any other of these robber barons mas bands is enabling the continued inflation of mas prices/experiences.

These annual 10%+ mark-up in prices are higher than even the present inflation rate in Trinidad and Tobago. At these annual increases, need I do the calculation for you folks for costume prices in say 5 years?

Some fool themselves and say it's because of feathers; others blame versace material; still others salivate in the experience! Might I add that feathers et al have been part of carnival from the beginning of time. Were there not an abundance of feathers in some costumes last year?

Carry along my brothers and sisters. Nonsensically enrich the lives of these so-called bandleaders for 365 days each year while you enrich yours for non-but 2.

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

And again: PLAY WITH ANOTHER BAND!!!

LOL, leave us stupid ignorant people alone, I do not see how we choose to spend our money is affecting the quality of YOUR life.

The Lord gave us freedom of choice and if HE can see as humans we have free will, then you anon with your self righteous attitude can speak till your face turns blue we will do as we damn well please at the end of the day cause you ent paying for we costume !! LOL

My money, my business, my way!!!

shoegal said...

Saucy, is Goddess of the Chase prices up yet?

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

nope, I hope to get that soon! check back like next hour or so.

shoegal said...

PARTY DONE!!

shoegal said...

Muchas Gracias chica;)

P.s. yuh ever considered getting paid for this girl?

shells said...

To anonymous 4:06pm...
Please remember, as Saucy says in her disclaimer 'these are her opinions'...you are not obligated to agree with anything that she says.
If you only have time to read, and negatively comment/criticize all the posts, then why do you bother coming back to the blog on a daily basis, since you always disagree with her posts? Additionally: why don't you use an actual username?

Anyways, thank you very very much again Saucy :)

Anonymous said...

Good day to all,
I must say, I have never encountered a bunch of ignorant people like the legions of people on this site who seem unable to comprehend how their loyalty, or more precisely, stupidity, to Tribe and/or any other of these robber barons mas bands is enabling the continued FEEDING OF THE TROLLS.

These PERENNIAL VERBAL OCCURENCES FROM THE UNHAPPY are higher than even the present inflation rate in Trinidad and Tobago. At these year-long increases, need I do the calculation for you folks for how much more sad and disillusioned these time-wasters are going to be in say 5 MINUTES?

Some fool themselves and say it's because of feathers; others blame versace material; still others salivate in the experience! Might I add that feathers et al have been part of carnival from the beginning of time. Were there not an abundance of feathers in some costumes last year? Exactly! SO if the prices continue to increase from last year, and the year before, and the year before, why act disgruntled when they increase again?

Carry along my brothers and sisters. Observe in awe the TROLL in it's FINEST ELEMENT. They are in their prime element for alll to see!

SocaDiva said...

Lord like people don't understand they have a choice. If we choose to as you call waste our money that is our business. That's like putting up an arguement about buying brand name shoes, we like the style so we buy nike, or adidas to please ourselves. Same goes for carnival if i want to spend $3000 for 2 days thats my business, think of it as me spending $3000 on a vacation in Barbados i'm enjoying myself money well spent.

Anonymous said...

Good Day Anon 4:06:

It is simply MIND-BOGGLING and utterly BAFFLING to me that one would continue to seek acknowledgement amongst a multitude of ignorance. Is our ignorance so truly a den of YOUR bliss? This is in similarity to the hungry sitting waiting for Christ to share out loaves of bread and piping hot fish and then discovering that the Son of Our Father has shown up not only with empty baskets bereft of the abundance of the Almighty, but undesirably overflowing with HOT AIR. Oh the humanity!
Ironically, (in some cases to be confused with moronically)the same individual so IGNORANTLY assumes that SAUCY's life, MY life, and the lives of OTHERS who frequent this blog are enriched SOLELY via two days of jumping up in Trinidad Carnival. No band deserves THAT much credit. Not only are you rash(and rashes can de SO annoying), you manage to have the audacity to be superbly flippant and presumptuous. I, for one, live a very FULL, VIBRANT, EXCITING, TANTALIZING, FULFILLING, KARMATICALLY SOUND, ENRICHED WITH FAT-SOLUBLE VITAMINS A, D, E, & K life. With or without Carnival. And I am certain I'm not the ONLY one. I can eat my belly full, watch Direct TV, hop a plane to a new, exotic locale, AND get meh back "bruk" whenever I want to. An enriched existence is far from complex. It can actually be exhiliratingly and surprisingly simple.
Your comments read in a rather caustic and acrid fashion. What happened bubbala? Did your s.o. take ahwineonsomeonesodivineinTRIBEthistime? Why so hot, so bothered, and SOOOO bitter? If the markups, robber barons, and inflation disturb you precisely to the point of no return, you could always freely exercise the option to pluck feathers gratis off a poor, pitiable, unsuspecting fowlcock in some tanty's backyard. Then place them strategically all over your body. Now papa that WOULD be mas!

Moral of the story (AKA allll of this):

1. We money, we business, we way.
2. We wine, we chip, we chook while security MOVES YOU out of the way.
3. Stand up and watch or go kick rocks.
4. Live life to de fullest 365 days, not for just 2 days.
5.Play midnight robber, not robber baron.
6.Climb every mountain, wine, and bruk yuh back even if said mountain is Bruk-back.

From Mah Lil' Heart to Yours,
Always and Forever,
The End,

Brokeback Dolli

P.S. Four score and seven years ago......LoL..

Anonymous said...

Dolli....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Carnival I love you! :D

Anonymous said...

LMAO dolli!!!! Gyurl! Nuff Respect!!! I love it!! :-D

Anonymous said...

lawd please put 2 hands on my friend dolli LMAO.

shells said...

LMAO dolli...*clap,clap,clap*..u deserve a standing ovation :)

LOL

Anonymous said...

Yuh damn right dolli.... well said and so eloquent. I don't think anything else needs to be said on this issue.
Are these people held at gun-point and forced to view saucy's blog?.. does the page spontaneously appear on the computer screen and refuse to move unless all the content has been read? Kudos saucy on the technology, I am sure the CIA could us that skill.
Trini-whoever seems to view us 'timewasters' with such scorn and derision... but what greater waste of time is there than reading garbage that u do not beleive in and spending time with people u have nothing in common with... and why RE-POST with your identity (more than an hour later) if your life is so fulfilled and enriched?
Steups... I am soo damn sick of people not knowing their damn place eh... I will re-iteratie with a few more options in case all the previous ones are not-applicable: If yuh doh like it then go to another site/band/station/country/planet/galaxy/hole up ur a$$...whichever one is furthest from the ignorant masses.

Anonymous said...

Yuh damn right dolli.... well said and so eloquent. I don't think anything else needs to be said on this issue.
Are these people held at gun-point and forced to view saucy's blog?.. does the page spontaneously appear on the computer screen and refuse to move unless all the content has been read? Kudos saucy on the technology, I am sure the CIA could us that skill.
Trini-whoever seems to view us 'timewasters' with such scorn and derision... but what greater waste of time is there than reading garbage that u do not beleive in and spending time with people u have nothing in common with... and why RE-POST with your identity (more than an hour later) if your life is so fulfilled and enriched?
Steups... I am soo damn sick of people not knowing their damn place eh... I will re-iteratie with a few more options in case all the previous ones are not-applicable: If yuh doh like it then go to another site/band/station/country/planet/galaxy/hole up ur a$$...whichever one is furthest from the ignorant masses.

Copyright Notice:
All photos and original articles by the author of this site are copyright of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com therefore all rights are reserved. Original content found within this Web site are protected by international copyright laws. No content of any type from this site may be sold, republished, modified, uploaded, reformatted or copied without the express consent of www.trinidadcarnivaldiary.com Should you require to use any of the material originally published on www. trinidadcarnivaldiary.com for personal or public use please e-mail trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com

Disclaimer

It is important to impress that the views reflected by this blog are mine alone and not necessarily views held by Triniscene. You cannot contact Triniscene and ask for their assistance in swaying or monitoring anything that is written on this blog.

All Content is for informational purposes only. I make reasonable efforts to ensure the completeness and accuracy of all content of the blog. However, I do not guarantee the completeness or accuracy of any information on this blog. There are various risks you assume in relying on the Content. We make reasonable efforts to provide accurate Content on the blog, but at times I may not promptly update or correct the blog even if I am aware that it is inaccurate, outdated or otherwise inappropriate.

While at times, I highlight certain services, websites, merchandise and such, I do not endorse any product. Nor do I use this blog to sell any merchandise. Also, I DO NOT endorse or encourage any products, costumes or services advertised on the conversation box (e.g. cbox). Neither do I endorse the opinions of, or warrant the accuracy of facts or other Content contributed by, any third party. I am not liable for any action you take or decision you make in reliance on any Content.

As a result, I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE QUALITY, SAFETY OR LEGALITY OF THE ITEMS ADVERTISED, THE TRUTH OR ACCURACY OF THE LISTINGS, THE ABILITY OF SELLERS TO SELL ITEMS OR THE ABILITY OF BUYERS TO BUY ITEMS. I cannot ensure that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction. You should look to the seller for any refunds, credits or adjustments to a transaction. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY, AND OFFER NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, REGARDING YOUR TRANSACTION WITH ANY INDIVIDUAL SELLER(S) OR ANY PARTS YOU PURCHASE FROM A SELLER, OR ANY INFORMATION, INCLUDING CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, YOU GIVE TO A SELLER.

Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com does not assume copyright for images used that are not owned by Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com, such images are used only to illustrate a point or when they are relevant to an article written by the author of Trinidadcarnivaldiary.com .If you are the owner of the image and would like it removed please contact trinidadcarnivaldiary@gmail.com
Powered By Blogger